Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to measure TC in Bandgap using Cadence simulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccw27

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
TC in Bandgap

Given TC<20 ppm/°C, how can I measure this in cadence simulation so I know if the spec is met or not.

Thanks

Re: TC in Bandgap

Run DC analysis with temperature as sweeping parameter.
Using calculator select VS of bandgap voltage. Then select DERIV Special function of calculator and click plot. You will get TC. If you prefer PPM multiply it by 1000000.

ccw27

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
TC in Bandgap

run DC,select temperature.then you can define your working temperature.

where to find calculator?
what is the PPM 's definition? if Temp coefficient is 50ppm/C. what is this?

Fom said:
Run DC analysis with temperature as sweeping parameter.
Using calculator select VS of bandgap voltage. Then select DERIV Special function of calculator and click plot. You will get TC. If you prefer PPM multiply it by 1000000.

PPM - parts per million.
50 ppm is 0.005%.
Cadence Calculator is one of the basic postprocessor tool. Look it at "Tools" menu in Analog Artist window.

After following the above instructions, I got another graph plotted which is the derivative of the first. So how to get the TC in ppm/oC?

Sincere Thanks

After following the above instructions, I got another graph plotted which is the derivative of the first. So how to get the TC in ppm/oC?

Sincere Thanks

As FOM mentioned above multiply your graph by a million (1000000) to get parts per million (PPM)

No, I think you do not understand my point. THe graph plotted is a range of values of TC from 0 to 100oC. So which point should I take to be the TC?

It depends on your interpretation. But if I want a numerical value, this is what I use.
Given the operating temperature range and the nominal operating temperature,
TC(V/K) = (Vbg(max)-Vbg(min))/(Tmax-Tmin)
TC(ppm/K) = 10^6*(Vbg(max)-Vbg(min))/((Tmax-Tmin)*Vbg(nom))
* Note that I left out the sign, which you will have to determine from the curves.

Last edited:

The plotted derivative function is \[\ \frac{\partial (voltage) }{\partial (temperature) } \] in units of \[\ \frac{V}{°C}\ \]. Divide this function by your nominal Vref - e.g. 1.22V @ 25°C - and multiply it by 1.000.000 (ppm = part per million), so you get \[\ \frac{V}{°C} \times \frac{10^6}{Vref[V]) } = \ \frac{ppm}{°C}\].

So which point should I take to be the TC?
The relative temperature dependence of your ref. voltage (in \[\ \frac{ppm}{°C}\]) will change over the temperature range. Which value you should take depends on your specification needs: you could specify several \[\ \frac{ppm}{°C}\] values for their corresponding temperature points, or you could specify min. & max values for a specified temperature range, or a mean value for such a range ± its max. deviations, e.g. for the application temperature range.

See also company bandGap dataSheets how they specify their values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back