Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to measure/simulate sink/source current of I/O cell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McSim

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!
I'm not sure that I've chosen the proper forum section for this topic, sorry if I'm mistaken.

Please explain me what is the "source/sink output" current (how to measure it and how to simulate it using SPICE) of I/O cell? As far as I understand it is just a DC output current via resistor connecting the output with the ground. What I really haven't realize yet is following:

1. What is the difference between HIGH and LOW-level Output current in this case? If the output level is LOW, should I connect the output to the supply voltage (via resistor)?
2. What is the nominal resistance which connects the output with ground (supply voltage)? Can I connect the output with the ground directly, without any resistor?

If it is not the DC current, how to measure it? May be using a large capacitance as a load (how large?) and measuring maximum (or average?) current?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.