Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to measure noise on a PCB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r37

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I would like to ask, how can I measure noise from a PCB circuit? I have to measure thermal noise and also EMI, however I can not find any paper, document, forum that talk about it. Is there some method, equipment, analysis, etc to measure noise in a PCB?

I appreciate your help, thanks.

Hi,

To me it's not clear what you need.

A PCB is a plastic with traces on it.
You want to measure the thermal noise of some traces?
Or electromagnetic interferred noise?

Or do you ask about a circuit?
Then you can measure the noise at dedicated nodes.
Then you should show the schematic (rather than the PCB), mark the nodes you want to measureand and give some additional informations like voltage, current, impedance, signal waveform...

And you should tell us the use of the noise measurement.

Klaus

Yes. You can measure the EMI noise of a circuit. I don't know how to categorize the thermal as noise. But you can measure the thermal variation using a thermal imaging camera.

EMI Noise (Radiation/Emission) you can split into two: Conducted emission & Radiated emission.

Conducted emission (CE): You can measure the conducted emission by using a LISN (Line Impedance Stabilization Network) and by using a spectrum analyzer. There are some standards available to measure & certify your product based on your area of application.

Radiated Emission: RE can be measured by using a near field probe (also called sniffer probe) and a spectrum analyzer. This is a less expensive and less accuracy solution for measure the RE. If you are serious about RE measurement you need to spend much higher (probably the most expensive for a lab) to get the accuracy. You may need to use a GTEM cell solution or even much expansive RF Anechoic chamber. Normally people will go for a some standard accredited lab for measure the RE.
For simple solution, you can get a near field probe and a spectrum analyzer with a EMI test kit facility.

Recently I tested a development board for RE with my Lab facility and I've attached the test result here.

Regards
Udhay

Attachments

• RE Test Result.pdf
    195 KB · Views: 132

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back