Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to measure high alternating current of AVR ATmega8

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharif

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pls how Ican measure high alternating current by avr microcontroller atmeg8l
using current trasnsformer.

avr microcontroller measures current

You should use opamp (with dual power supply) to amplify signal from currrent transformer (if its small to much).

Then you can make bridge rectifier with schotky diodes (low voltage drop). Then you need ADC (inside mcu or outside), so you need to get samples of current and do some math (to get effective value).

Lots of work.

Regards,

Mr.Cube

ancrct-4.pdf

after CT, use bridge e.g. DF005 ,then using load of few ohms (or fraction of ohms)convert current to voltage and condition as per ur need.

write program 2 calculate rms value.

measure current ?

Hi .. Try this circuit from this application note
**broken link removed**
I have used it.. Working good with CT and AVR.

Also if you want to get wave sign.. Use Opamp to bring up center of sine to positive so you could measure both side of amplitude in positive voltage. or you could measure only one side of sine by using opamp cut off negative side.(but i don't know is it reading will the same as negative sine or not. You will nees some fast CPU like ATMEGA @ 16M. Take sample and then interpulate reading for error correction and then find out amplitude to get value and must calibrate it to real current value.

Last edited by a moderator:

Re: measure current ?

What about TRUE RMS measure of AC current , any advice for that.

Bojan

AD536 or similar parts from Analod Devices can do the true RMS measurement.search w*w.analog.com

snoopy said:
What about TRUE RMS measure of AC current , any advice for that.

Bojan

Just have a look at:

**broken link removed**

Last edited by a moderator:

OR
if you don't want to add any extra silicon bits.
Use the Mega 8 A/D converter Differential Input Channel with adjustable Gain of 10x or 200x to measure the AC current straight from the current transformer. (may have to add a bias voltage)
For RMS, just square the samples, and sum them. When you have a heap of these summed sqaured values, calculate the mean. RMS = root-mean-square.

Ok I look in analog.com and other solutions in forum , then I found on Linear technologies site IC LTC1966 witch is RMS to DC converter with 5V single supply and it need only two capacitators to work.

Does any of you use this IC , eny reports please.

Bojan

Status
Not open for further replies.