Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to measure antenna gain using network analyser ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuen_cityu

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

is it possible to measure the antenna gain using network analyser?
Could i use two identical antenna connected to network analyser and measure it S11 and S12 , then calculate the antenna gain?

Thanks a lot

there is a method to measure the antenna gain called "Purcell method", which involves a single antenna looking at a reflecting plane in front of it. From S11 measurements you can extract a line and the slope is proportinal to the gain.

If you have access to IEEExplore look for that. There are several papers on it , for instance,

Z. Wu, "Effect of Mismatch on Antenna Gain Measurement by Purcell's Method," Electronics Letters, vol. 22, pp. 522-524, 1986.

I dont know any method measuring S21 between two antennas, although probably you may think of something varying the distance between antennas.

regards

It is possible to measure the gain of any antenna by using a network analyzer only if you have a "very reference" izotropic antenna which has a gain of 0 dB or some thing you are sure of, that you take as a referance.
I tried the second way since i did not have a perfect isotropic antenna and compared to each.
i first connected the two of antennas which i considered as reference to the ports of ntw analyzer and measured gain.Then changed one of them with the antenna that i wanted to calibrate.and measure again.

below may help

**broken link removed**

Can someone attach something more about Purcell Method?

Thanks a lot !!

I have found the paper relating to Purcell method for antenna gain measurement. Attached, pls find it below.

hello again,

find attached two more references of the method. I hope they are useful to you. sorry but I dont have pdfs

P. Coquet, K. Mahdjoubi, C. Terret, Automatic Antenna Gain Measurement at High Frequencies. Electronics Letters July 1992, vol 28, no 14. pp 1339-1340

RQ Lee, MF Baddour, Gain Measurement of microstrip antennas under mismatched conditions. AMTA 1989. pp 4.17-4.19

regards

Greatful.

/Warning #1 - No "Thank you" messages here! (klug)/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back