Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to map I2C MasterCore from OpenCores into FPGA correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackkb

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I have an issue of using I2C MasterCore from OpenCores when I need to map to FPGA. The issue related to handle bi-directional SCL and SDA ports.

I download the code from https://opencores.org/project,i2c. I create a top I2C (I just care about SCL and SDA inout port, for other port, I temporarily ignore it)

Code Verilog - [expand]
module iic_config(
                      inout logic                SDA,  
                      inout logic                SCL,  
                      // Other input, output port);

wire                  scl_pad_i;  
   wire                  scl_pad_o;  
   wire                  scl_padoen_o;  
   wire                  sda_pad_i;  
   wire                  sda_pad_o;  
   wire                  sda_padoen_o;

/* setup tri-state buffers for SDA and SCL */  
   assign SCL       = scl_padoen_o ? 1'bz : scl_pad_o;  
   assign SDA       = sda_padoen_o ? 1'bz : sda_pad_o;  
   assign scl_pad_i = SCL;  
   assign sda_pad_i = SDA; 

i2c_master_top i2c_core(
                                 .scl_pad_i    (scl_pad_i),  
                                 .scl_pad_o    (scl_pad_o),  
                                 .scl_padoen_o (scl_padoen_o),  
                                 .sda_pad_i    (sda_pad_i),  
                                 .sda_pad_o    (sda_pad_o),  
                                 .sda_padoen_o (sda_padoen_o),  
                                 .*);  

endmodule

I do not understand the following.
- If we use simulation, we need to pullup SCL and SDA by pullup(SCL) and pullup(SDA) in testbench to make sure that when scl_padoen_o = H, SCL is 1'bz, and the pullup(SCL) will make SCL = H in this case. For SDA, I also think it is same as SCL.
But pullup() is not synthesizable! In this case, if I need to map to FPGA, how can I "pullup" SCL or SDA?

I already read the post https://www.edaboard.com/threads/159731/, but I can not find the answer for my question.

If you have any idea for this, please give me.

Thank you so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

I do not understand the following.
- If we use simulation, we need to pullup SCL and SDA by pullup(SCL) and pullup(SDA) in testbench to make sure that when scl_padoen_o = H, SCL is 1'bz, and the pullup(SCL) will make SCL = H in this case. For SDA, I also think it is same as SCL.
But pullup() is not synthesizable! In this case, if I need to map to FPGA, how can I "pullup" SCL or SDA?

Because the pullup() is in the TESTBENCH and is not in the synthesizable code. So it is not an issue.

As I read from https://opencores.org/project,i2c, this core has a Wishbone bus that will communicate with the other higher level logic. This is the master side. Your I2C is also a part of the FPGA.
The SCL and SDA are the other ports and is the slave side. With these ports you communicate off-FPGA, with the slaves.

When you simulate the entire design, SCL and SDA ports are communicating with the non-FPGA world. So in the testbench you have do a pullup(). Your pullup() shouldn't reside inside your DUT, they are non-synthesizable.

Here https://opencores.org/websvn,filedetails?repname=i2c&path=/i2c/trunk/bench/verilog/tst_bench_top.v is the Verilog test bench as I see it.
You can clearly see tghe pullup beind done here.
pullup p1(scl); // pullup scl line
pullup p2(sda); // pullup sda line

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back