Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make universal VHDL coding for FPGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

delay

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
VHDL code portability

Hello all,

What is the best way to go about while doing VHDL coding for FPGA and not knowing the target device (atmel, actel, altera etc). Currently I try not to use vendor specific libraries, macros, primitives and instantiations as I know that these won't work if in the end I target the design on something I didn't think of in the beginning.

This also gives me problems as I need to write everything from scratch and optimization may not be best as the code is not device architecture specific.

I also run three synthesizers Leonardo Synplify Pro and XST to be sure none of them frowns on the code and it is acceptable by all giving me some confidence level.

What other techniques can be used in order to make sure that the code is acceptable by a large number of device vendors?

Thanks,

Delay (delayed by technology)

Re: VHDL code portability

try first to read the "Reuse Methodology Manual" book .. it's here in elektroda .. search for .. download .. and then u'll find almost evrything u want in this topic ..

Status
Not open for further replies.