Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make resistor in Magic layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoglu

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi. I am taking a CMOS analog design course and in course project I need to submit layout of my design, using Magic. Then I need to extract .spice file using
extract
ext2spice
commands and simulate .spice file in LTSpice. I have a 100 ohms resistor in my circuit and I cannot implement it in Magic. I tried things like metal1 and also rmetal1 but none of them worked. Can anybody show me how to implement a resistor, and do I need any extra commands to extract it to spice file? Thanks in advance.

metal1 or metal2 is not for resistance.

use the sheet resistance of n material and calculate the
area reqd for 100ohms. select the suitable l and w .

draw it in magic .
since magic has online drc check and adjust it.

then extract the spice netlist.

srizbf
5thmay2010

Thanks for reply.
My problem is, even though I put a material to get a resistor, I cannot see it in spice files. Maybe I don't connect it properly. Does magic interpret the circuit depending on what layers we use?
Anyway, can you give me more information? I still cannot do this.
Edit:By the way, Do you mean some layer by sheet resistance? I don't have such a layer

if you have drawn properly ,
then magic will definitely spice it.

-Does magic interpret the circuit depending on what layers we use?

irrespective of layers , if , there is a connection ,
then no problem .

-Do you mean some layer by sheet resistance?

no layer...

refer vlsi book for getting the concept of
sheet resistance .

srizbf
5thmay2010

You can try using nwell or poly inorder to get resistance.
create a layout for resistor and also spice for R=100ohm and run lvs keeping A & B as pin names for resistor ends(both in schematic and layout).
You can get the resistance value from the lvs report. ( it will show parameter error and resistance value)
go through design rule document for approximate sheet resistance.
BTW u need to use resistor layer in order for the tool to recognize it as a resistor.

Regards,
Sree

Hi,

U can use poly for making the resistor in MAGIC, to identify the poly as resistor u have to put a pseudo layer. Pseudo layer name is pseudo rpoly.

Give two terminal names then extract you will get the value of the resistance between the nodes.

If u need i will send you scipt that generate the required resistance value using the POLY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back