Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make home-brew double side PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

SISWANTO

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
+pcb +home +double +side

Dear All,
Anyone please help me to explaint or give me link about how to make home-brew double side PCB. Including make through-hole, so the buttom-side and top-side connect. Thanks a lot.

Siswanto

make otulines pcb

The way I do it is to print out the top and bottom layers on film, carefully line them up and staple them together along one edge. Then use tape to stick the light sensative pcb between them. Expose both sides one at a time to ultraviolet and develop. Then etch the board.
You can get pins to make the through hole connections.
Results can be quite good.

I make a lot of double sided boards via toner transfer. I built a light table to allow me to align the artwork. I use double sided tape once the two sides are aligned. I also use a modified laminator for the transfer and use a folded piece of paper to hold the board/paper assembly for the first pass or two.

Plated through holes a possible but its a lot of work and if you design with non-plated through holes in mind, you will find its not that bad. Some tricks:
- mix TH and SM components.
- use TH leads to pass signals between the layers (th resistors, caps, diodes, non-socketed ICs and so on.
- vias are pretty simple. I just run a thin piece of wire (say 28 ga or finer) through all of them and solder both sides of each hole. Snip off the excess wire after testing.

If you insist on PT holes, you can do it but you'll need to do plating. here's a reference: https://www.thinktink.com/stack/volumes/volvi/condink.htm

When printing, make sure that you print onto the film so that the ink will be the side that goes against the copper, otherwise light can get underneath during exposure & your tracks become thinner.

Make some big "+" marks outside of the board edge on both films, so that when you have your board in between you have something to check the alignment with.

Make sure that your tracking/copper is well balanced so that you do not have loads of groundplane on one side and few little tracks on the other, otherwise you may find the thin tracks being etched away.

cyberrat said:
Make some big "+" marks outside of the board edge on both films, so that when you have your board in between you have something to check the alignment with.

Good point. I include the board outline in the artwork. This not only helps you align the top and bottom art but also gives you an outline for cutting/trimming the final board.

ah... board outlines, yes they need to be a bit thicker than normal, say 15-20 thou+ as they etch away easily.

Hi
Here is a tutorial for making Double side PCB. I hope this help.

hxxp://www.infiltec.com/seismo/pcb-home.htm

that is a decent, if short, overview of the process. You will have to copy the link text, paste it into you browser and change the xx to tt in the url. sigh.

I tried to repost the link using URL feaature of edaboard bbs software but it doesn't work, Somehow edaboard doesn't let it go through. why does edaboard feel the need to screw with 'http' in the URLs in the first place??? Seems dumb. All it does is make people waste time or think that the poster messed up the url. Take a look at the link below - it should go to the www.infiltec.com/seismo/pcb-home.htm but instead, it generates an error on the edaboard server. Kind of stupid, imho. But of course, its their board and they can screw it up how ever they want. sigh. http://www.infiltec.com/seismo/pcb-home.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back