Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make a slow boot power ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shalky

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need a power circuit: input voltage +9v, output voltage +5v, current 200ma. Some components require the voltage raises slowly when the power starts. Is there anyone has such experiences ?

You are describing a regulator with so-called soft-start. You can impement it by adding a capacitor (RC filter, plus a diode) on the reference input of the error amplifier. That way, at power up the reference voltage rises slowly and so does the output voltage.
For switching regulators, a similar method can be used, although it is more common to directly foce the duty-cycle to increase slowly to the final value.

Do you have a preference for the actual circuit? A linear one would dissipate about 4V*200mA=800mW. Is this acceptable?

shalky

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Take a look at the picture below .. for 5V output R1≈720Ω, R2=240Ω ..
For more details goto:
**broken link removed**
Regards,
IanP

Many thanks to VVV!

There is no reference in my circuit, but I refer your idea and design a control signal to let the power to soft-start.

Give you a helped me!

Thank you very much !

Status
Not open for further replies.