Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make a regular light switch gradually fade up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

privas

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to make a regular light switch, that when turned on, it gradually fades up the light bulb to full power. If the light bulb took about 4-5 seconds to reach full power it would be very nice. That way it would give people's eyes time to adjust to the changing light level rather that have the light flash them. I think it's not normal and almost rude to have lights flash at you, especially in the morning.

The light switches I use are your standard 110 volts switches.

A company called Lutron makes a switch with this function. https://www.lutron.com/maestro/?s=17000&t=17200
Their switches cost $30.0 each and I need about 30 for all the light switches in my house. Regular switches cost $1.00. Then, I don't like that their switches are pushbutton. The toggle up/down switches are better.

There must be a way to combine resistors and capacitors and something else to make this work.

Any ideas?

Yeah, it seems to be good idea to turn on the bulb slowly.
One way to do it can be be having digitally controlled potentiometer.
The resistance of the potentiometer is slowly decreased such that changes made is small for humans eyes to notice the change.

The digitally controlled pot and the microcontroller connected to it can ofcourse be