Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make a output amplifier's output swing in +0.5V/-0.5V

Status
Not open for further replies.

enchanter

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am learning analog design. about the amplifier, I only got the circuit who's supply voltage is VDD/GND. So the output of that is between VDD and GND. Then how could I design an amplifier with output swing between +0.5V and -0.5V?

Thanks

You could use some switched capacitor regulator to create a negative supply... for a very simple solution take a look at MAX1044, so you could supply your opamp with negative voltage. But can you explain better your circuit, there might be better solutions...

... how could I design an amplifier with output swing between +0.5V and -0.5V?
If your amplifier provides an output swing of 1Vpp, you can couple it via a series capacitor to an output load resistor to GND. This will result in your required output swing - that's rather trivial, of course ;-) .

Thats a solution just for specific applications... imagin an imput of a constant value, and he is using the opamp as a buffer, the output would go to 0 at any constant value.....

Just a questions.. is it a design of an IC or a circuit?

Thats a solution just for specific applications... imagin an imput of a constant value, and he is using the opamp as a buffer, the output would go to 0 at any constant value.....
Very true: not a good solution for a BGA, LDO, or any ref.voltage output. But didn't enchanter ask for a solution for "an amplifier with output swing between +0.5V and -0.5V"? It's still the simplest solution for swing frequencies > 1/2πRC , isn't it? Still, I told that's trivial ;-)

thanks for your reply. Sorry for my ignorant. I can't find a supply voltage +0.9V and -0.9V for that amp. You know all I learned from the book are the circuits with supply voltage with +1V and ground. No negative supply voltage and negative output. So I am not sure is it that simple to get the negative output by replace GND with -0.9V supply?. Maybe some can give me a simple circuit with have negative output to make me have a little sense on that.

Thanks.

Yes you can. As long as you are referring everything to the same ground.
All you have in a circuit is voltage differences. You can operate the same circuit with 2V and 0V(GND) or 1V and -1V. If in the first case the circut can have an output from 200mV to 1.8V, then in the latter case the same circuit can have an output from -800mV to 800mV. This now with respect to the same ground, with respect to which the negative supply is -1V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back