Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make a good start in Microcontroller Programming in C

Status
Not open for further replies.

adityaonline

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello !
I want to learn C programming for Microcontroller. Anybody can suggest a good start (wrt process & books).
Also Suggest a simple to understand and common starter :

1. AVR
2. Intel 8051
3. PIC
4. Freescale
5. Rabbit 2000
6. Parallax Propeller
7. ARM
8. List goes on...

Last edited:

Start with something simple but good, the AVR for example.

Here is a good search term: http://duckduckgo.com/?q=winavr

And since some people get upset if I just provide a search term, here are a couple of good links:
**broken link removed**
http://ladyada.net/learn/avr/setup-win.html

When you get experienced with programming the AVR in C, go on with the ARM Cortex-M3. It's probably the most popular microcontroller in the industry. The reason for not starting with the Cortex-M3 if you are a complete newbie is that it's much more complicated to set up clocks and peripherals in an ARM than in an AVR.

Both AVR and ARM have very good open source tools.

Thank you skogsjanne
, but according to world wide web, many suggest 8051. Is it make any difference ???

I wouldn't say it's more easy to start with 8051 than AVR. The 8051 is over 30 years old but still popular. I don't know if there are any good open source tools for the 8051. Stay away from crippled tools from companies like IAR and Keil, it's much better to go for completely free tools.

The Rabbit is another thing to stay away from. Their tools are not standards compiant.

This is a good place for AVR information:
https://www.avrfreaks.net/

Nowadays I only use ARM Cortex-xx, it's industry standard and well supported by GNU tools.

Hello !
I want to learn C programming for Microcontroller. Anybody can suggest a good start (wrt process & books).
Also Suggest a simple to understand and common starter :

1. AVR
2. Intel 8051
3. PIC
4. Freescale
5. Rabbit 2000
6. Parallax Propeller
7. ARM
8. List goes on...

Either of the first three AVR, 8051 variants or PIC are good platforms by which to learn Embedded Programming.

I continue to utilize all three for various commercial projects.

In this forum, PIC related threads out number either AVR or 8051 postings.

The Microchip PIC is fairly inexpensive, with extensive documentation and excellent customer support available.

The best online tutorials I've found to date are the following:

**broken link removed**

The tutorials are very professionally done covering both the Baseline and Midrange PIC families, using both MPASM Assembler and Hi-Tech C Compiler. Each lesson is in PDF form with the accompanying code in a Zip file, both are freely downloadable.

Both the Assembler, Compiler and IDE used in the lessons are freely available:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

If you decide to use an 8051 variant, I would strong suggest considering a Silicon Labs C8051F series if available in your locale.

The Silicon Labs family of 8051s offer JTAG debugger/programming with up to 100 MIPS performance. Their development boards are fairly inexpensive, ranging from $25 to $100 and the USB JTAG Debugger/Programmer is $35.

**broken link removed**

BigDog

In this forum, PIC related threads out number either AVR or 8051 postings.
BigDog

I wonder why...

The older PICs, PIC16C54 and friends were amazing for their time. If you knew what you were doing you could create fantastic things with them. And we did.
Starting with PIC18Fxxx I think there is no reason to use them. Go for something cleaner like the AVR, with open source tools.
PIC32 is something completely different, a well known architecture with really good open source tools. Almost for free.

all are good and best with there own capacity and application handling in there own zone its up to you where to go If you never use controller before then 8051 fast to learn easy to use the rest are good to learn. I give my personal opinion its good start with 8051. At the end its your call to which one to choose

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back