Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make a die to cut front labels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Anyone got any idea or have made a home made die to cut out square holes from a plastic silk screened label? Cutting one or two with a knife is fine but I need to cut about 50 and they need to look pretty good.

I've been thinking of all kinds of tricks but nothing good yet. Thought of putting razors together somehow in epoxy but then round holes wouldn't be so easy. maybe a two step solution. But cutting all holes in one go would be quickest if possible. Otherwise I could probably use a hole punsch for the round holes.

How do the screen printers do it?

Eddie

Hi, MrEd,

we've been using the following techniques for years:
- design labels with some graphics software
- do NOT add a line-frame as cut-lines
- add some cross-markers 2mmx2mm ONLY in the 4 corners of the label
- copy&paste as many labels as fit on a page. Copy, so, that the crossmarkers of neighboured label fit exactly onto the other

- print the labels on desired media
- CUT the labels with a paper-cutting-machine - gives perfectly straight cutting lines, and by using the crossmarks, the have EXACT size

:))

Andi

Sorry, MrED - i was off topic, your problem is another ;-)

Maybe a professional mechanic can help and build a custom-tool for you. Ask the locksmith around the corner. I've seen such things before.

Kind regards

ANdi

see this link and download the video u will get some idea,
**broken link removed**
die is cut by diamond cutter from wafer

@ MrEd, check craft and leather working stores. You can find many different shaped punches.
For only 50 pieces it should be manageable.

I have seen cardboard carton makers use a plywood board fitted with sharp steel plates to cut paper boxes. I think you can use a similar technique. Cardboard box makers are everywhere. You can either ask one of them to make that die for you or you can see what it looks like and make one yourslef. It looks pretty simple and effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back