Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to light backlight and change the contrast in this LCD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gold_kiss

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
LCD question

Recently i purchased a 16x2 LCD. Can any one give me some information as to how do i light the backlight?

it has basically 16 pins.
Pin 1 VSS
Pin2 VCC
Pin3 VEE
Pin4 RS
Pin5 R/W
Pin6 E
Pin7 DB0
Pin8 DB1
Pin9 DB2
Pin10 DB3
Pin11 DB4
Pin12 DB5
Pin13 DB6
Pin14 DB7
Pin15 LED+
Pin16 LED-

Also can anyone tell me how do i change the contrast of the seqment of the LCD?
Any kind of schematic and explanation would be of great help.
Thanks,
Gold_kiss

Re: LCD question

The backlight should be pins 15 and 16 but be careful some displays do not have current limiting resistors built in. You can connect +5v but use a series resistor of 47 ohms first.

The contrast can be regulated by connecting a pot (which has +5v and ground connected) to pin 3 most displays only show the characters when the applied voltage is around 0 V.

best regards

Re: LCD question

LED+ and LED- pins goes to led.But some lcd munufacters put resistance on module.
Attach 10 ohm resister to LED+ pin and attach this pin to variable power supply posite output.And attach LED- pin to power supply other negative pin.Start voltage from 0v to higher voltage slowly .But you dont forget current measurment for this leds.
LCD pin 3 for contrast adjustment.Attach this pin to 10kohm variable resistor middle point and variable resisters other one pin attach pin 1(vss=0v) and other pin to vdd(pin2).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back