Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to learn to design electronic circuitry

Status
Not open for further replies.

barath

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All

I would like to know how to learn to design electronic circuits?
I have learn basic electronic on how the basic compoenent works but it is still not enough to do circuit designs. Any tips on how to learn design circuits .What else i need to learn in order to do circuit designs. I have seen people can design circuit from scratch to complete circuit. thank a lot

Which one you mean: Analog or Digital.
In digital circuit design, First of all, you need to learn digital logic circuit and computer architecture. Then you have to study one of hardware description languages (VHDL/Verilog). Also you need to learn about synthesis. At the end of digital design process, you should generate a layout or program a CPLD/FPGA. You can see the design flow of the digital design in the related books.
In analog circuit design, you can use PSpice/HSpice to model the circuit in the transistor level. After functionality checking, you should generate layout which needs to know the fabrication process in details.
These flows are related to the chip level design. In Board/System level design the story is quite different.

Regards,
KH

i think what he meant is not about ic design (although it helps much).

it is about circuit construction using passive and active components for achieving any desired functionality.

but the thing is you have to specify whether it's analog or digital circuit your talking about.

Thanks KH but i am referring to circuit design on analog.

I am also new to this.

But what I have learned that works. Is to treat the tracks like a watter pipe system. A good example is that at a T juction the water will not flow good. But if you take from the source a Y split you get more even flow.

Another thing is to make sure you got your spacing of the tracks correct and the width of the tracks.

A sequince I like to use is.
1. Choose board size.
2. Place components that need to be at a place. Holes as well.
3. Place the remaining components.
4. Root tracks.
5. Check the design rules are correct.
6. Clean up your tracks bend. (Remove all 90 degree bends. Water flows better at round conners). Also make sure the tracks are the correct width.

5 and 6 will get repeated till your happy withe the board

7. Make sure all silkscreens are away from vias and readible.
8. Place description silkscreen.
9. Place ground pour. (I am still busy with this as well)

Hope this will help.

I also placed a file with the spacing for you.

Hope all this info helps.
Regards
:twisted:

There are two ways!

a) Read as much as many books on electronics, start from easy ones then move on, try simulate circuits in computer and then build them in real world. Start from easy ones and move on. This is the first method and I guarantee you it will work!

b) The second method is Novel Way method. People like Nikolai Tesla, or someone else like him in electronics invent/create them rather than getting from the books. Books get published later.

I would suggest you go for a). Read as many books as you can.

djalli said:
There are two ways!

b) The second method is Novel Way method. People like Nikolai Tesla, or someone else like him in electronics invent/create them rather than getting from the books. Books get published later.

quote]

Comment:
It's Nikola Tesla (1856-1943) and not Nikolai. He was great Serbian scientist (not Russian or Croat, etc.) who worked in USA.

I have similar problem with analog design. No one wants to teach you how to do such a things or to show you some algoritms/knacks.
Only way is to manage it yourself and it is long and hard job. At school I studied everything but theoretically :).

Regards.

It looks like nodoby has any steps on how to go around designing analog circuits. I hope the expert in this fields can shed some light on this questions.I agree with you epp. thanks for everyones comments

WHAT DO u mean?
PCB design? or IC design? or DEvice?

I am refering to circuit. For example, how to design a VCO circuitry. this is an example only. It can be any circuitry. I am not refering to PCB. i am refering how we come about the VCO circuit from scratch. thank a lot

hi i
its good to welcome you in the electronic design commuity
but first of all i would like to know if you are doing it as a hobby or want to take it as an profession.

Ok starting from the scratch you should be technically aware of the charac and behaviour of a particular device say transistor and then you had to go for its biasing techniques and then try your hand out at some simple circuits
like ldr system using transistor
led switching
using trans as a simple switch etc

after tha t go for a good designing book and build some small projects

and after that you can concentrate on one particular item
it would require both patience and hardwork to be a good designer

happy designing

Hi ashish sharma

Thanks for the tips. I will try out your idea to improve my circuit design skill.
My plan is to become professional circuit designer for analog circuit.

think in terms of building blocks. each block has different functionalities. it's up to you on how to design the blocks with the desired functionalities. some functionalities like wave-shaping circuit, current mirror, etc, have their generic design. it's you who will customize it, on how much current it sources and sinks, what is the amplitude and shape produces by each blocks.

read books that concentrates on designing, not just theoretical explanation. sedra/smith's book is good. i also like m.h. rashid's book.

Status
Not open for further replies.