Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to learn IC(Chip) design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

An_RF_Newbie

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am an electrical telecommunication student who works on Antenna. I am very interested in IC design but I don't know how to learn it step by step. Do you mind to let me know the procedure of learning IC Design from basics to professional? (such as books,videos,software)

Thanks

I would suggest to join an organised IC design course. if analogue IC is what you are looking for, you can try this:
For books,
Razavi "Design of CMOS analog integrated circuits"
Allen, Holberg, "CMOS analog circuit design".
I would start with the course before the books.

Hi,

Analog, digital, mixed, or RF IC design? Possibly there are more categories, I cannot recall more but even with one type you could spend a life.

I would suggest to join an organised IC design course. if analogue IC is what you are looking for, you can try this:
For books,
Razavi "Design of CMOS analog integrated circuits"
Allen, Holberg, "CMOS analog circuit design".
I would start with the course before the books.
I am really appreciative of your response. What about the software? what do you suggest?

Hi,

Analog, digital, mixed, or RF IC design? Possibly there are more categories, I cannot recall more but even with one type you could spend a life.

Thank you, I enjoy working on RF IC design, what do you suggest?

Razavi have 2 strong books which I know. 1 was mentioned in #2, that is perfect, and if you want to extend your Analog CMOS knowledge with RF IC design considerations, communication concepts, RF transceiver circuits then I recommend from Razavi the "RF Microelectronics, 2nd edition". It is important to start with the 1st book, because in the RF book it supposes already some basic, some advanced knowledge about CMOS devices and circuits, feedback, stability theories, etc.

Regarding software, if you feel you are a beginner then probably freeware tools are good to start with. Any SPICE simulator, the books and courses are more important. I like LTSpice because it helps to learn the simulation language, how models work, and its hierarchical operation, simulation engine handling is closer to professional IC design softwares I think, but it is my personal opinion. Professional IC design tool is the Cadence/Virtuoso ADE, not an easy to learn tool, but tutorials and professional help is available on Cadence Community forum or even on youtube. I am not sure it has demo or student version and quite expensive tool. Its simulation platform is the Spectre, and it has a premium version, "Spectre RF", which is very effective to simulate many RF related parameters.

+book: R. Jacob Baker: CMOS Circuit Design, Layout and Simulation

+advice: do not expect fast satisfying results

If he wants to to RFIC design then VHDL will be of zero use, but amplifier circuit design in a modern technology would be a resume ornament. That however is a moving target as cell bands roll into and out of use.

I might suggest a plan that moves you from antennas, to "RFFE" chip / I/O design, to whole-product responsibility. Bearing in mind that there is specialization within the narrower "RF" field - one guy for PLL stuff, another for RF switches, one for linear PAs and another for Class E with predisposition and that old guy who just likes to polish on single transistor LNAs and the management lets him because he has employee badge #4.

Each step along the track wants you learning in preparation for the next. If you move from field to adjacent field the steps should be more visible to you than if you consider it end-to-end with no timeline or priority assigned.

Lear RF/Analog Circuit Design first then you can jump into Layout Techniques and other stuffs..
Circuit Design Essentials are must..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back