Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to know whether microcontroller is working

Status
Not open for further replies.

siva_2smart

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
working of microcontroller

hi,
I am using a development board in which when i am dumping some small programs like glowing an led also it is not working ... I think the microcontroller is not working.
So can anyone please tell me how can i identify the problem. Especially how can i know if microcontroller is working or not.

how to know microcontroller

replace the same code with a new chip, or assumed-to-be working chip or a chip which you see working with someone..

then you will know..

microcontroller working

siva_2smart said:
hi,
I am using a development board in which when i am dumping some small programs like glowing an led also it is not working ... I think the microcontroller is not working.
So can anyone please tell me how can i identify the problem. Especially how can i know if microcontroller is working or not.

Usa a simple program that i.e sets pin0 and pin5 and resets other pins.
Use a metrix or a led to check if the µC works well or not.

how to check microcontroller is working

AdvaRes said:
Usa a simple program that i.e sets pin0 and pin5 and resets other pins.

what if the configuration bits are not set right while programming,,,??

what to know about microcontrollers

I had already tried working with some small programs like glowing leds but its not working
Does giving 12v at any pin of microcontroller burns it.

to know microcontroller

siva_2smart said:
I had already tried working with some small programs like glowing leds but its not working

Be carefull man !
PICs require power supply between 3.7V an 5 V.

how to know if microcontroller connected

Applying 12 Volts can damage the complete IC or sometimes the specific pin.

how to check microcontroller is working or not

siva_2smart said:

havent you read my post above..

fry pin on microcontroller

Have you checked your crystal?
Have you tried all the ports?
The tolerance of most of microcontrollers in input mode is +5v(max)
So, your +12V might have damaged that pin.
If your controller pins are configured in push pull mode try to measure the voltage on them after configuration before running the code.

how to check whether microcontroller is working

If you using high frequency osc then you need at least 5V power supply. Also need to turn off watch dog timer WDT. Also check reset pin mc**

And build a simple program to blink or just light leds on and off. Also you for sure need to include right header file. For example pic16F887.h This file uses c code to send right c code instruction to right places in MCU.

Try to find .hex files on internet. it worked for me.

there is a possibility that your programmer do not work due low voltages from your PC. solution should be another desktop PC.

how to know if microcontroler is working

check osc_out pin...it should give a clock of freq some mutiple of crystal u use

microcontroller not working at all

12 volts? it doesn't take much over 6 volts to fry a pic. Read the data sheet.
When you try another pic use a volt meter to test you input and output to see if its working.

gogo

when ever i try to load hex file to 89s52 by asim khan,s software it shows " no response from mc" wat may be the problem?? i have build the ckt correctly... how can check my mc working or not??

Hey check your all configuration bit of microcontroller.

WDT should be disable
What clk are you using ?
Internal /External , without this microcontroller can't work.

Just check this basics things

Regards
Chanchal

to siva_2smart:

hi i had uploaded the circuit diagram, code for led blinking. you can check that here
http://www.free8051projects.blogspot.com/

to niekiran:

use asimkhan software version isp v3.0. you can download it from the above site.
i also faced similar problems with higher isp version.
the programmer cable is simple and easy to design

Re: working of microcontroller

siva_2smart said:
hi,
which controller u r using?
if you have CRO then check ALE signal of the controller it wil give pulses, then it is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.