Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to **** ireless remote control

Status
Not open for further replies.

nxt_

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to decode w ireless remote control

Dear All, Greetings, is it possible to decode a wireless remote control .. {wireless not IR}. is there any technique so that i can decode the signal for each button in the remote to fit my application. please help. Thanks,.

nxt

You must know what is the carrier frequency, and wich modulation technique is used, in order to choice the apropriate receiver.

+++

Reactions: nxt_

nxt_

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: how to decode w ireless remote control

Dear All, Greetings, is it possible to decode a wireless remote control .. {wireless not IR}. is there any technique so that i can decode the signal for each button in the remote to fit my application. please help. Thanks,.

When I get a simple wireless remote control transmitter (usually for amplitude modulation), the first thing I do is to look at its encoder IC name and have an idea on which RF band its data is transmitted. I usually don't try to build the receiver head (detector), it is better to get a ready-made compatible one that has, in the least a raw data pin to output 1's and 0's when the carrier is on and off.

In case I am able to get a suitable RF receiver head (RX), I search for the encoder IC datasheet then I choose one of the two solutions:

(1) Adding (if not already on the RX head board) the decoder IC that complement the encoder and use its few outputs for on/off.

(2) Writing a program for an MCU to read the timing of the received pulses and read the 1's and 0's of each packet based on the encoder datasheet (or by analysing the received signal on a digital oscilloscope for example).

The fun starts if one has two simple RF modules (working on the same RF carrier) and each having 3 pins only (Vcc, data and ground). On TX, the data pin is to modulate the carrier and on Rx to detect the modulated carrier. Then by using two small MCUs for example (one for TX and one for RX), one can build an RF link using his own protocol he likes, to encode/decode his data stream to suit better his application. For instance, I use this low cost simple technique to let the user of an outdoor message sign (I designed/produce), update his texts remotely (though from a short distance, less than 100 meters).

Kerim

Reactions: nxt_

nxt_

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.