Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] how to interface gsm modem to microcontroller via RS232?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diannejose

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have connected the RS232 pin as TX-RX AND RX-TX AND ALSO THE GROUND. I am using ARM micro controller. I am not able to receive data from mobile to the micro controller.please help in interfacing modem with the microcontroller.

1. check modem with hyperterminal
2. write UARt prg to check tx and rx functionality of UART in your controller
3. Interface modem to UART0 of controller and program for uart0
4. even if it does not work post your code here

i have connected the RS232 pin as TX-RX AND RX-TX AND ALSO THE GROUND. I am using ARM micro controller. I am not able to receive data from mobile to the micro controller.please help in interfacing modem with the microcontroller.

Always first check Modem using Hyperterminal
just try AT command and u should get OK responsed from modem...

plz mention Which modem you are using...

i am using the Pulraj gsm modem.
the modem is working properly if we connect it to the hyper terminal. when i interface the modem to the micro controller, i can't get the signal from the modem to the micro controller, but i am able to pass command from the micro controller to the gsm modem.(like sending message via RxTx, TxRx connection and GND ). the code is working properly if we enter gsm data via hyper terminal

Dear friend,

i think your modem works only in null modem concept( Micro controller to GSM not pc to gsm).

Is it the same cable you are using to connect GSM and PC for testing. And is it the same cable used to connect GSM and micro. Check some modems use cross cable like wavecom. check and update back. If it is same cable then your coding mistake. check the hardware cable connection, if it is correct then post your code.

for checking PC with GSM i used RX-RX and Tx-Tx. and for microcontroller and modem i used Rx-Tx and Tx-Rx

Hai

Look my attach.

Attachments

• tt3_null.png
    tt3_null.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 177
for checking PC with GSM i used RX-RX and Tx-Tx. and for microcontroller and modem i used Rx-Tx and Tx-Rx

Maintain same connection between controller and GSM as you do for testing PC and GSM.

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:44 ----------

Some modem need cross cable and some use straight. Like simcom use cross and wavecom uses straight, their internal track wiring are a bit different. Wavecom serial cable connection is different with respect to 2, 3 compared to available serial cable

do we have to do any other settings other than (U1LCR & U1DLL) in UART1 of microcontroller

i have included a lpc2129 code in which i want to read message from SIM using AT+CMGR=1 command through external interrupt and UART1 interrupt

Attachments

• voting sample.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 140

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back