Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Interface GPS to PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

versace427

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
gps to pic

I'm not sure how to do this...and I'm also not sure what PIC to use. I think I want to use PIC 16F690. The output from the PIC will be sent to a Spartan3 board. This is a small part of a project that I am working on with a group of people. I'm responsible for the GPS. We have to build an autonomous robot, similar to the DARPA challenge. I have never worked on anything like this before and would appreciate any insight.

I'm using the Garmin 18LVC. I have already connected it to a DB-9 connector and have been able to read the output sentences. I may also need some example code..if anyone has it. The GPS is a secondary system to deadreckoning. The robot will also have ultrasonic sensors, IR sensors, compass and servo along wiht other mechanisms that will enable to run a course.

I'm also not sure what output sentences I should capture..$GPGGL? Considering that every ASCII is 8 bits will the 16F690 handle the data well?

Thanks

versace427

gps pic

Maybe you can utalize this example, or parts of it, to connect a PIC microcontroller with a GPS receiver:
http://www.ke4nyv.com/gpslcd.htm

The GLL sentence is the easiest to read as it only contains Lat and Long, so use it ..
$GPGLL,4916.45,N,12311.12,W,225444,A,*31

Regards,
IanP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back