Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Interface FPGA with DSP(TEXAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonatan

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dsp texas 28xx

I am new on this area.

Anyone know if it is easy interface a FPGA (XILINX or Altera)
with any of the available DSPS (Texas TMS320) or Analog Devices
(ADSP21161).

dsp interfacing with sram

hi,
it is very easy,i am making a interface betwen tms320vc5416 and xilinix fpga(spartanii),do you get any question?

dsp connect fpga

what do you would interface?
Serial port?
Address-space?
i-o ports?
HPI?
is very simple to interface

If you can use standart TTL family in your DSP project.
You can use easly FPGA.

What is the problem ?

jonatan said:
I am new on this area.

Anyone know if it is easy interface a FPGA (XILINX or @ltera)
with any of the available DSPS (Texas TMS320) or Analog Devices
(ADSP21161).

Depending on what you want to do. I usually program the FPGA as a memory device and connect it directly to the main DSP bus. As a result, the FPGA will look like anyother memory / devices that connect to the DSP.

I will not recommend using the HPI in this case. Most of the time HPI is used to interface to a micro-controller. It is not necessary to use it for FPGA. (Of course, you can if you want to.)

If you don't know how to connect the FPGA, look up how to connect an SRAM for your DSP and examine the interface timing. Then design your FPGA to look just like the SRAM. I am sure you can find App notes on how to connect an SRAM to your DSP.

Good luck

Gunship

BTW, make sure your interface voltage standard is compatible. e.g. 3.3V bus connect to 3.3V bus, etc.

Gunship

I think that same as interfacing with microcontroller.

DSP to FPGA

Hi,

with regard to the Analog device you mentioned, check out the section in the Sharc user manual relating to host interface, all the details are clearly shown and it can be achieved with a FPGA.

Spit

using TMS320C5510 and virtex2. you can interface thru EMIF of dsp, where FPGA is configured to be seen as static memory space, or thru McBSP serially if suitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back