Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Interface Ethernet Controller with Microcontroller..

Status
Not open for further replies.

H_D_R

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
microcontollre ethernet

hello all,

i want to interface Ethernet Controller IC with MCU.
i have searched and got the two most commonly used ICs ENC28J60 and RTL8019AS.
i am working with ATMEL 89SXX MCU.
can any one tell me which MCU I should use for this interfacing. why?
can I do it using 89SXX MCU.?

and after successful interfcaing, want to send the data to PC via LAN.
can it be Possible..??

can any one help me.??

Thanking you all in Advance...

how to interface ethernet with microcontroller?

For ENC28J60 you can use any microcontroller that has SPI interface, because ENC28J60 connects through SPI.
The memory requirements vary, depending on the application. For an embedded web server that displays some html pages you may need an external memory on SPI or I2C.
It will work - you should write the program in C - it's a difficult work if you need to implement many protocols. You can find examples with ENC28J60, many of them for AVR microcontrollers, but the souce being in C maybe you can adapt it for you microcontroller.

Reactions: asa1365

H_D_R

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

asa1365

ethernet controller microcontroller

For a small microcontroller Wiznet W5100 may be more appropriate. ww.wiznet.co.kr It's a controller with a hardware IP stack, thus considerably reducing the software overhead in uC.

H_D_R

ethernet microchip code example

Eugen_E said:
For ENC28J60 you can use any microcontroller that has SPI interface, because ENC28J60 connects through SPI.
The memory requirements vary, depending on the application. For an embedded web server that displays some html pages you may need an external memory on SPI or I2C.
It will work - you should write the program in C - it's a difficult work if you need to implement many protocols. You can find examples with ENC28J60, many of them for AVR microcontrollers, but the souce being in C maybe you can adapt it for you microcontroller.

Thank you for replaying...

i would like to prefer ATMEL first if its working because i have much Experience of ATMEL and it will be available easily also near by our town.

we know that coding will be more but before that
can you please give me some more details regarding this communication.

i mean how to interface the Ethenet Controller IC with MCU and which one will be best for easier communication with less possible coding.

and tell me one thing what is the meaning of "TCP/IP Stack"..??
where and how it can be utilize..??

microcontroller bit banging ethernet

TCP/IP stack means the code handling the TCP/IP protocol, anything that is necessary between a send() or receive() function call in your application code and the ethernet controller hardware, may be a few hundred up to thousands lines of code.

ethernet bit bang microcontroller

hi, can any one please tell me which techniquie will be faster as well as easier for this communication.??

Re: How to Interface Ethernet Controller with Microcontrolle

Here is a connection and code example for an AVR uC:
http://www.tuxgraphics.org/electronics/200611/article06111.shtml.
The implementation of TCP is simplified to transmit only 1 TCP segment. You can find complete UDP, TCP, HTTP implementations
www.cti.ac.at/rts/2_2_TCPIP.pdf
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/tcpip stack v3.6.zip
**broken link removed**

If the communication is only in LAN, you can simplify it, to transmit only Ethernet frames if you know the corresponding MAC address.

H_D_R

Thanks Eugen_E,

let me get details of AVR and its availibility near by our Town.

i'll be back if i'll found difficulty.

Thnka you all

do you have information about compatability with PIC16F84?

snb7aug said:

no.. :(

sorry i have no exp. about PIC.

i have used ATMEL only till today.

can anybody say at least some link from wher i can get details and proceed further...???

Nobody knows about such implementation...?? 8O

You can use a PIC16F84 but you will have some trouble. There's two things that are a problem. The first is that it only has 13 IO pins so you can not use the parallel interface with the W5100. The second is that the 16F84 doesn't have SPI either.
There is a way around this though but it requires a bit of software. The way you can do it is write your own SPI port (basicaly bit bang the data out). This might get a bit complicated though because you have to cample the data at specific times in the clock cycle though its simple enugh to implement if you have experience with PICs.

Eugen_E said:
Here is a connection and code example for an AVR uC:
http://www.tuxgraphics.org/electronics/200611/article06111.shtml.
The implementation of TCP is simplified to transmit only 1 TCP segment. You can find complete UDP, TCP, HTTP implementations
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/tcpip stack v3.6.zip
**broken link removed**

If the communication is only in LAN, you can simplify it, to transmit only Ethernet frames if you know the corresponding MAC address.

This link below is not working.

snb7aug said:

use 18F452

If you like to use embedded module as TIBBO read this:

Hope it help.

Bye
Powermos

This link below is not working.

Hello folks,

sorry to say: this mentioned file has been removed:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.