Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to interface Both GPS and GSM with PIC Microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasanthkumar.M

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi friends for my project i am trying to interface GPS and GSM in PIC MCU...But what problem now arises means GSM works on 9600Bps and GPS works on 4800Bps...so now i want to use both in my project...but I have tried with PIC16F877A which one UART,,if it is possible to use both in same PIC or else I want to choose another PIC MCU which has Two UART's...If yes means then suggest me to choose which i want to choose...

Hi,

There are several solutions.
I tend to a microcontroller with two UARTs. I can not recommend one, but I'm sure you find a selection guide on the microchip homepage.

You said 4800 and 9600 baud. I'm sure this is only the initial baud rate and may be configured..most probably on both devices.

Often those devices have a second interface like SPI or I2C. Read datasheets.

RS232 style communication is point to point only. So using two devices (plus microcontroller) on one UART is not usual and needs extra MUX hardware...and software.

In opposite to that I2C and SPI are true busses for multiple devices. So it's quite common to use two or more devices on one bus.

Klaus

Thanks For all your Reply...i can go through this solution provided and will solve it...thanks a lot again...

Status
Not open for further replies.