Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to interface a dotmatrix printer to 89c51?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vibeesh

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to interface a dotmatrix printer to 89c51

printer interface

Assalamo Allykum !

I think we will require more than the databits for interfacing the Printer.

Allah Hafiz

Re: printer interface

what is the model of printer ...

any one please help this fellow

as ur problem suggest that u need a interface u have to think about the type of interface that a printer uses.

if usb than 89c51 have to be interfaced to a USB controller & then the printer
if parallel then 89c51 have to be interfaced with 8255 & then to the printer

consider the above cases then u can implemt the driver for each of them.

hi,
u must used the TWO PORT of 89c52 :
- Data port for transmit data to printer
- status port for checkback signal (printer status)
with data port send data (characters) to printer by ASCII format.for send command (example :return to next line , ...) used ASCII code (/r=13).
NOTE: befor send data by status port check printer status.
u must used DB25 Connector.

baghery said:
hi,
u must used the TWO PORT of 89c52 :
- Data port for transmit data to printer
- status port for checkback signal (printer status)
with data port send data (characters) to printer by ASCII format.for send command (example :return to next line , ...) used ASCII code (/r=13).
NOTE: befor send data by status port check printer status.
u must used DB25 Connector.
but i am using serial interface of 89c51...

This will be a good starting point:
"Serial Interface Module For EPSON Mini-Printers"
**broken link removed**

I don't know what printer are you going to interface to, but without its detailed manual you will face major problems in writing "driver" for that printer ..

Maybe you should use standard set of ASCII characters, connect your printer to a PC via serial port and in the Hyperterminal mode test how that printer "reacts" to certain ASCII characters , what it sends as handshakes and so on ..

Regards,
IanP

Last edited by a moderator:

IanP said:
This will be a good starting point:
"Serial Interface Module For EPSON Mini-Printers"
**broken link removed**

I don't know what printer are you going to interface to, but without its detailed manual you will face major problems in writing "driver" for that printer ..

Maybe you should use standard set of ASCII characters, connect your printer to a PC via serial port and in the Hyperterminal mode test how that printer "reacts" to certain ASCII characters , what it sends as handshakes and so on ..

Regards,
IanP
thanku
but reading that manual i didnt understand anything...if u can help me other way..some simple method

That what I suggested in my previous post ..
Maybe you should use standard set of ASCII characters, connect your printer to a PC via serial port and in the Hyperterminal mode test how that printer "reacts" to certain ASCII characters ..

Connect that printer to your PC and open Hyperterminal ..
Type "a" .. check if printer prints "a" ..
Test all other ASCII characters and controls and in the same time record what printer sends back ..

As far as ASCII controls are concerned you will send them by pressing CRT+letter ..
Here are the codes:
**broken link removed**

Regards,
IanP

Can you mention type and manufacture of your serial printer ypu plan to use?

budhy said:

budhy said:
ts Epson LX 300+ a dotmatrix printer that support parrallel and serial interface...

ts Epson LX 300+ a dotmatrix printer that support parrallel and serial interface...

Please see the connection diagram

Code:
SerialOut:
       JNB TI,SerialOut
       CLR TI       
       MOV SBUF,A  // Acc hold character to print
       RET

Code:
void putchar(char A)
{
   while (!T1);
   T1     = 0;
   SBUF = A;
}

Signal Ground is pin 7 on LX300+ Serial Connector

92_1161668622.gif

budhy said:
Signal Ground is pin 7 on LX300+ Serial Connector

92_1161668622.gif
Thank u
In the printer interface (using Epson LX 300+ printer) it contains 25 pin serial interface .in that RTS,CTS,SG,STR, these signals also present whether i want to use that signal hen connecting to microcontroller through MAX 232.if yes then how?bcz in MAX22 we using only RX and TX..

Added after 39 seconds:

IanP said:
That what I suggested in my previous post ..
Maybe you should use standard set of ASCII characters, connect your printer to a PC via serial port and in the Hyperterminal mode test how that printer "reacts" to certain ASCII characters ..

Connect that printer to your PC and open Hyperterminal ..
Type "a" .. check if printer prints "a" ..
Test all other ASCII characters and controls and in the same time record what printer sends back ..

As far as ASCII controls are concerned you will send them by pressing CRT+letter ..
Here are the codes:
**broken link removed**

Regards,
IanP

In the printer interface (using Epson LX 300+ printer) it contains 25 pin serial interface .in that RTS,CTS,SG,STR, these signals also present whether i want to use that signal hen connecting to microcontroller through MAX 232.if yes then how?bcz in MAX22 we using only RX and TX..

Make a handshacking like the one attached. Best on the conector side. You might only need to connect the micro to the "Rx" pin to the printer.

steveo said:
Make a handshacking like the one attached. Best on the conector side. You might only need to connect the micro to the "Rx" pin to the printer.
is any body have new idea pls post..

Status
Not open for further replies.