Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to instantiate two different modules based on a condition in verilog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sudeep Mc

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have got two different multiplier modules.
1. 4x4 multiplier
2. 8x8 multiplier
Based on the length of the inputs a and b, one of these modules should be selected. I have written a code where enable becomes high when any of the input length is greater than 4 bit(binary). I cannot instantiate a module inside if or case statement and not even inside an always block. I tried using generate blocks. Since the parameter value is fixed, in all the cases it chooses only one of the modules. I donot know how to use `define,`ifdef `elseif. Please do let me know, how can i acheive this logic in verilog and also the use of generate and `define,`ifdef `elseif.

With regards,
SUDEEP M C

Are you asking about a parameterizable module, where the bit length of some inputs is defined by a parameter, or do you mean that the length is variable at runtime? A generate construct can only work for the first case.
Code:
generate
if (SIZEPAR == 8)
// instantiate 8x8 multiplier 
else
// instantiate 4x4 mutiplier
endgenerate

Are you asking about a parameterizable module, where the bit length of some inputs is defined by a parameter, or do you mean that the length is variable at runtime? A generate construct can only work for the first case.
Code:
generate
if (SIZEPAR == 8)
// instantiate 8x8 multiplier 
else
// instantiate 4x4 mutiplier
endgenerate

In the generate-if case given above, SIZEPAR is fixed. Therefore it will always instantiate 8x8 multiplier. If the input size is 4 and lesser it has to instantiate 4x4 multiplier. I doubt that will happen.
Yes, I mean the length of the inputs are variable at runtime. In that case what do you do?

Code:
module opt(m,a,b);
parameter aw=8, bw=8;
input [aw-1:0] a;
input [bw-1:0]b;
output [aw+bw-1:0]m;
reg en;
always@(a,b)
begin
if(a[7]|a[6]|a[5]|a[4]|b[7]|b[6]|b[5]|b[4])
en<=1'b1;
else
en<=1'b0;
end

generate
if(aw==8)
m8x8(m,a,b);
else
m4x4(m,a,b);
endgenerate

[/QUOTE]
even in the above case, It will always instantiate 8x8 block. There is no flexibility.
What I mean is, Depending on the size of the input at the very instant(runtime), It should decide between these modules.

With regards,
SUDEEP M C

You cannot have variable length at runtime. You need to make the length the worst case possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back