Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to install programs in ubuntu 9.10 Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

wachhad

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Sir, Hello (aslem alaikom)
I am just a beginner in ubuntu OS
I in need to how install programs such as : vlc, virtualbox, ... etc
So when I go to: Applications, Ubuntu Software Center, VLC media player ( for example )
I read this message “Not available in the current data”
So I not find “Install”
The same problem if I go to : Applications, Accessories , Terminal : “Sudo apt-get install vlc”
I receive this message :
E : Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock – open (11 : Resource temporarily unvailable)
E : Unable to lock administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/) , is another process using it?
So please help me as soon as possible,
With my best wishes,
Thank you in advance.

Try using Ubuntu 11.10, the version you have is 2.5 years old, perhaps the program repository isn't letting you have outdated versions.

Brian.

The error message in the terminal indicates that the Ubuntu Software Center is open at the same time as you tried the command. Close the Software Center and try again.
After the installation you should try "sudo apt-get update" to refresh the package sources. However, since 9.10 is a very outdated version it could be that the Ubuntu servers for this version are not available any more, thus you can't install software that easily.

You should get the latest version.

If however, you decide to stick to version 9.10, you can go to the VLC website, download the installer from there and install it.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Status
Not open for further replies.