Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to install programs in linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello,

i am using redhat 9.1. i am actually new to it. but i do not know how to install programs on it or even access diskettes. please can someone help.

If you use gnome, install programs and mount disks are very like windows. Otherwise, you could read a unix prime.

I use KDE.

Different Methods.

rpm files:

rpm -ivh <name of file>

For bin files (be careful)

on the prompt just type " . <name of file>

Some programs have SETUP.SH

so you can do sh SETUP.SH or just ". SETUP.SH"

Some programs are distributed in tar.gz format.

so you do "gunzip <name of file.gz>
This will make it a file with .tar extension.
Then you do "tar -xvf <filename.tar> and it will untar itself.

Then you can find out if there is a setup.sh file or an install file that you can start with.

There are many other ways as well. In KDE you can install programs graphically as well.

Hi,

If you have *.tar.gz installation file, after unpacking it as told by uncle_urfi, go to that newly created folder and there will be an INSTALL file. All the installation instructions will be there. The general procedure will be

#./configure
# Make
# Make install

Regards.

Only not "Make", and "make" - small letters :)

thanks

I am new to linux, should i type the 'make' in the terminal or is the somewhere else where i should type. I tried terminal while trying to instal a module in perl and it did not work.

Hi,

If your package is as *.rpm file, you need not issue 'make'. Find out where the insallation is by 'locate' and using file find utility in GUI and then run the program. The documetation for installed *.rpm files by default will be in /usr/share/doc/ folder.
If you have unpacked *.tar.gz file, go to that newly created folder in the terminal by 'cd [directory path]' command and then, in the terminal give these commands. As I told, this instruction will be in the 'INSTALL' file.

#./configure
#make (I am sorry, this is not capital 'M', small letter 'm')
#make install

After this you can start the program with the instruction given in /doc sub folder within this folder.

Nice time.

I though "yum" was the preferred application installer/updater for RedHat. Or maybe "apt-get", the Debian version. You type something like "yum install firefox". It downloads the rpm, installs it, and and maybe adds a menu item to your X desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.