Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to install a ubuntu Linux on PC with Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepabhargavi

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have installed windows XP in my PC. To start studying linux i want to install ubundu linux version without affecting my existing operating system. How to do it. I am a very beginner in linux.

installing linux

Many linux distributions including Ubentu supports live CDs. While using live CD you don't have to install anything, whenever you want to use linux just boot your system using this CD.

You can find more information about ubentu live cd @ https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

However you can install linux along with windows XP if you have left enough unpartitioned space on your hard disk. For more information on this search for "dual boot linux" in google.

installing linux

If you want to install linux on another partition of your system you must, while installing it, make sure that you have selected the free partition then you make "automatical partionning".
Just a suggestion you must see someone more expert doin thins since there you can look for the live edition ubuntu it's a little bit slow but it safe.

Re: installing linux

first select a disk space where you want to install linux, then you should defragment that windows disk, after that try installing, ubuntu will give you the option to edit partitions, there you can create the new partition and install the OS.

If you want to share files between windows and linux create another partition FAT32 and there you'll be able to read and write files in both OS.

the safest way may be to use VMWare.
VMWare emulates Linux on top of windows. All it takes is a little hard drive space. And , surprisingly, it isn't slow at all!

Try it. They even have pre-built VMWare image for you to try. No risk what so ever.

https://www.vmware.com/

Follow these steps:

1.Get some partition manager like Partition Magic Or Paragon Parttion Manager.

2.With this manager create drive with atleast 10GB's ,keep the format as EXT3 & make sure this is PRIMARY Partition & space of drive is at end of the disk.

3.Now reboot,goto BIOS menu select 1st boot option as CDROM & boot in the CD.

4.After some primary steps ,you will have option to ,Automatically or Manually,create
Installation drive.

5.Select automatic partitioning & select the drive formatted as EXT3

6. Continue with installation.

Best Luck

Added after 1 minutes:

If you have any difficulties installing.
Contact @ sacheen.prabhakar@gmail.com
Bye.

you don't need to find a partition manager, the ubuntu CD got one, you just need to select make the partition manually, make a correct defragmentation and put the OS in a new partition (Reiserfs) make other partition with twice the size of your RAM and other to share information between OS's (FAT32).

Hi,
You don't have to either repartition the hard drive or create a dedicated space for LINUX. All you has to have is a KNOPPIX CD (exactly KNOPPIX CD ISO image). But you don't have to permanantly attach a CDROM to PC. So either download a KNOPPIX ISO image from https://knopper.net/knoppix/ or create one from an existing CD.
And refer this => https://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Poor_Mans_Install &
https://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition

deepabhargavi said:
I have installed windows XP in my PC. To start studying linux i want to install ubundu linux version without affecting my existing operating system. How to do it. I am a very beginner in linux.

Al salam alikom

As many members replied you, you can try linux using a LiveCD

a possible link for download is: (Knoppix 4.0)
ftp://ftp.knoppix.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso

after downloading this link, you should burn this CD image on a blank CD. To learn how to do this, search on Google or other search engines for ".iso CD"

To boot from this CD, configure your BIOS so that it can boot CDs. Then reboot and insert your Knoppix CD and have fun with Linux !

However, if you want to install linux on your Hard Disk, you should have unpartitioned free space on your hard disk. Many Linux utilities (for example, http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ ) provides you the capability to resize your partitions to create free unpartitioned space; and then create a new Linux partition in it. More details is on

**broken link removed**

The installation of many modern Linux distros is straightforward. The most difficult step is creating a Linux partition. After installation, things should go will and your PC will boot GRUB allowing you to choose between Windows XP and Linux.

I hope this is useful for you !

When you are installing Linux you will get to a point where you need to choose the place to install Linux DON’T do it automatic you have to do it manually ……… choose a partition and then you have to assign a place for the swap then on the next you will specify that the other boot option is windows not Dos and continue afterwards.

Ragnarok83 said:
you don't need to find a partition manager, the ubuntu CD got one, you just need to select make the partition manually, make a correct defragmentation and put the OS in a new partition (Reiserfs) make other partition with twice the size of your RAM and other to share information between OS's (FAT32).
This is true up to a point the linux partition managers don't support ntfs partitions or don't support them well, so you might destroy your windows partition and all your data on it, there is an older version of paragon hard disk manager (partition manager) on a few anonimus ftp sites search ftp sites for it !

installing linux

If you're studing linux don't use ubuntu get Debian, or Suse or Mandrake or Redhat Fedora.
Ubuntu comes fith far too few packages and it doesn't resemble a true Linux distro, I personaly like Suse, all tho most Linux fans have bad vibes thowords Novell's Suse beacose of the Novell-Redmond deal :(

Status
Not open for further replies.