Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to increase voltage of PWM signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xsports49

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to increase voltage

Hello, i have a pwm that can be adjust from 100hz to 250khz. I get a square wave pulse out. It puts out 12volts dc from 0 to 30 amps. My question is what can i use to increase the voltage from 12v dc to 36v and even to 200v; and where can i buy something like this? Would it be possible to use a car coil for the spark plug to increase the voltage? I am relativly inexperianced and i could use any help i can get. Thank you!

Re: How to increase voltage

yes that would be great if i could adjust the voltage. But it could be just one set vlotage. In a correction to my last post i'm look to make upward of 1000 volts from my 12 volt sorce.

Is this a buck or a boost? I think you are looking for a buck -boost since you are varying Vin from 12v to 200v for a fixed Vout. Don't know waht Vout is though?

Your PWM driver would have to be capable of delivering
the scaled current, and tolerating the kickback of the coil,
but you could probably get more than enough out of a car coil
to hurt something.

If you want ignition-level voltage then your switch needs to
go open, not simply to another potential. The flyback
voltage is higher that way. But they're viable autotransformers.
I do not know the turns ratio. But I've been knocked on my a$$
playing around with them.

you require a 'smps' transformer type for the required voltage.

i assume that you have 12v , variable frequency , 30a max current.

since the frequency is also varying , smps type trfr , ferrite cored one , is the requirement.

ignition coil suitability dependnds on its core type
and its frequency characteristics.

srizbf
3rdmay2010

Status
Not open for further replies.