Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to increase the RS232 range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matelda

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi:
how many meters i can send data in form of RS232 and how i can increase the range
best regards
matelda

Re: RS232 range

Hi,
RS232C standard say:
15 meters distans,
or with shielded cable until 80 meters on 9600 bps,
regards

RS232 range

I have used 2400baud for 100 feet without any special wire. For longer distances (300 - 500feet) , I have used current loops. For further, I convert RS232 to RS422 and vice versa. With that I have used it for over a kilometer at high speeds.

salam:
thankx friends but i want to ask you how i an increase the range of rs232
if i used repeaters ( buffer ic ) do think that it is good idea
best regards
matelda

RS232 range

Black Box sells a variety of RS-232 extenders:
**broken link removed**

The ANSI/TIA/EIA/-232-F-1997 standard specifies a maximum cable capacitance, not a maximum length. In the appendix, it gives an example calculation with a particular cable capacitance, and arrives at 15 meters and 80 meters, but those apply only to the example cable.

However, many folks disregard the standard and use higher capacitance or higher data rates, and still have successful communication.

RS232 range

You can find brief answer here :

**broken link removed**
and it is referrer page
**broken link removed**

matelda said:
salam:
thankx friends but i want to ask you how i an increase the range of rs232
if i used repeaters ( buffer ic ) do think that it is good idea
best regards
matelda

Hellow everyone

could you pleas explain to me how to use buffer ic in a repeater circuit?
pleas it is important.

thank you all

TheSniper (+)

hi friends ;
the using of ic buffer to make repeaters for rs232 signals is just idea so i will be glad if anyone can give us other practical idea
matelda

check out the maxim rs232 converters and repeaters section. if you need a really long distance communications in serial mode, try using null modems. One of theese systems designed by our company engineers, used in BTC pipeline project for the rectifier units.

Have you twisted your cable? If you using the regular cable data like the hardisk one you need to twist it. If you twist it you will get more...
Although a little i hope this will help you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back