Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to increase the maximum output voltage from 5V to 100V of the pulse waveform?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xiongnr

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to increase the maximum output voltage of the pulse waveform,from 5V to 100V,but I do not know how to design a circut.I already have operational amplifers,like LM301AN,or single supply voltage op Amps,and some transistors.

How can I design a correct circut to increase the voltage.

By the way,the waveform is 1000Hz, its amplititude is 5V.The waveform is parabola increased slowly in the previous 1/2period,and 0V in the later 1/2period.

Could you design a circuit for me?

Thank you very much.

First you need to generate 100Vdc ..
Here is an example on how to do this:
**broken link removed**

Then use a HV transistor (MOSFET or BJT) and boost the signal to 100V .. see attached picture ..

IanP
:wink:

Attachments

• transistor-switching-circuit.png
    transistor-switching-circuit.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 272
Thats a good suggestion.
I mentioned just now on another thread switching the + supply is more involved, you'd need a pulse transformer, if your switching frequency was only 1kc then noise immunity might be an issue.
Switching the - as in the above schematic is simpler, you could use a TIP 41E, the E is important it means that the tranny will take 180v, then connect the base to the 5v square wave through a 470ohm resistor, this will be ok up to an amp (make sure the 5v side will supply 10mA).
If the load your driving is inductive ie has a winding then you'll need a higher voltage still, 5 times or more the 100v supply, I'd be thinking about sometghing like a BU508A, a tranny designed to switch the lopty transformer in telly's.

Could you design a circuit for me?The circuit contain op Amps LM301AN,and some diodes,NPN,PNP,some resistances,because we only have these component.

Thank you very much.

I'll help with your design, but I'm not sure about doing the whole thing.
Anyways depending on your application you might be better using a different approach, like using a special purpose chip, like a tl494.

We have already get the waveform,but the maximum output voltage is 5V,we want to increase the 5V to 100V.We need a high maximum output voltage(≥100V)and low current(<1mA)pulse waveform,in order to drive the piezoceramics.

We also have +100V power supply.

But I do not know how to design a amplifying circuit contain Op Amps and some discrete component.

Thank you very much,dr pepper.

---------- Post added at 07:11 ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 ----------

By the way,the waveform is 1000Hz, its amplititude is 5V.The waveform is parabola increased slowly in the previous 1/2period,and 0V in the later 1/2period.

Thanks.

72df3ee9jw1dgco6sks7yj.jpg

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

The picture above is the waveform we already have.

I am eager for your help.

Looking at the waveform you want that changes things, I had made the assumption that you wanted a square wave.
The problem is a lot more tricky, it can be done with an opamp and a pass transistor using a voltage divider as part of the feedback loop, but its more complex than it sounds, its something you'd need to develop on a breadboard, you'd also need to generate the 100v.
Multi tone sounders I've used in the past had a transformer in them, audio at low voltage is amplified using an audio amp, sometimes a monolithic chip like a tda2030 and then fed into a transformer and stepped up to a higher level to drive the transducer.
Another way to look at it is to use an inductor like in a step up switching power supply, for that you'd need a microprocessor.
Maybe you use a lm380 or tda 2030 to drive a transformer fabricated from a ferrite pot core or torroid, it'd need to have a larger cross sectional area for 1kc.

We want to use the first method.We want to done with an opamp and a pass transistor.

Once we get the circuit,we will weld it and try it.

But I have no idea on how to design a correct circuit.

Could you help me to design a circuit about this method?

Best regards.

Thank you very much.

---------- Post added at 13:52 ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 ----------

I'm sorry,IanP.

I can not see your attached picture clearly,it is too small,I think.

Could you enlarge this picture?I am very glad to accept your advice.

Best regards.

Thank you very much.

I can not see your attached picture clearly,it is too small
How about clicking on that picture - it should enlarge and be very visible ..
:wink:

OK!

Maybe the network speed was too slow in my place some days ago.

Thanks.

72df3ee9jw1dgt9xrw80sj.jpg

I want to use this circuit to achieve my aim,but the maximum out put voltage was only 15Vpp,the input waveform is a square wave 5Vpp,why?

And when I test the voltage between point a and b,it is only 16V,not 100V,why?

Could you help me?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

hi dear,

Im engineer in iran , I Can designe your project

please send to me your detail of project .

you must use one of the switching tpology .

pleas send mail to me

my email : m.rezvanian@ymail.com

Thank you,medxp.

Your design seems a little complex.We want to drive the piezo(PZT),so we need a 100V voltage.The signal which I have already described is a pulse waveform with the Vpp=5V,and there is no negative voltage.

I think we need a PZT(piezo) driver circuit,which can supply a hundred voltage for our work.

Thank you.

Best regards.

A single transistor amplifier similar to your schematic in post #12 should basically work. May be the DC bias and gain (set by RE) need some adjustment. Now the nominal gain is about 10, you would need 20 according to your specification.
And when I test the voltage between point a and b,it is only 16V,not 100V,why?
If the schematic is correct, you say that the 100V supply doesn't work. If so, the schematic won't tell why.

You didn't specify the transducer capacitance. Depending on it, the 10k load resistor may be too high to drive the intended waveform to the transducer. A more comfortable solution would be in a high voltage operational amplifier, like the classical Apex product series. Apex Precision Power

You can also design a multi transistor push-pull amplifier, but a somewhat deeper knowledge of analog circuit design would be necessary.

Hello. What do you think about some inductive load to increase amplitude of output waveform for your piezo?

hi xiongnr i have the same problem as i want an output range 0-100v dc from input range 0-10 v dc?
did you reach any solution?!

If you only have 16V between points A &B, this would explain why the output is only 15V p-p. Way back in 1970, I designed and built a CRO bright up pulse amplifier. the problem was that we wanted to view a 2T pulse (~ 200 nS = 50 nS/cm time base speed) every 40 mS. So I built an amplifier that amplified the output from TTL to +120V to apply to the grid of the CRT. Very straight forward, only down side was that the huge pulse on the grid actually de-focussed the display slightly. ;-)
Frank

Hi,

Actually, I have the same problem when trying to drive a piezo transducer(the output of microcontroller is a 3.3V pulse, then we have to convert it to 100V pulse).
Do you finally find a solution to this problem?
Would you be so kind to share with us the circuit that you use ?
My email is: linafangliu@gmail.com

Thanks a lot,
Best regards

How can you design a driver when the impedance is undefined?

A PZT has at least 3 reactive elements and 2 resistive elements.

Depending on the PW50 and rise time you want and ringing will determine what type of design. Current pulse, voltage pulse or switch or impedance diplexer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back