Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to improve the resolution of ADC by software processing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priya

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Resolution....

Hi,

I need some suggestions on improving the resolution of ADC by software processing.

Re: Resolution....

I often use some kind of software filter to improve the jitter but you can not get more resolution than your AD Converter has physicaly :)

You can for example sum the last 4, 8, 16, 32 ... samples and build an average (will only work for "slow" signals).

It is very important to carefully design the PCB for an application which has to get a "high" resolution analog value via an ADC. You can for example guard the whole analog section of your board by a single trace which is connected to analog ground at a single point (this is called guarding). Also use only one a single analog GNd point as your reference.

hope this helps

Here are some good lessons about ADC's:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
In lesson #2 you can read about how to improve your Mixed-signal PCB layout

Controlling Noise and Radiation in Mixed-Signal and Digital Systems: **broken link removed**

It is, in fact, possible to reduce the distortion, and also to
improve the resolution below an LSB (least significant bit),
by adding noise (dither) to the signal of interest.:

**broken link removed**

You can find a lot of application notes about this topic from all vendors of ADC's.
Recently i read an application note from Microchip about ADC circuit design and layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back