Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to improve the range of IR distance sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ma_ge38

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi... currently I am planning to build a IR distance sensor using normal IR emitter. However, the range for it is too short which is below 5cm. Is there any method to boost the range and increase the reliability of it? As I don't wish to use those expensive distance sensor. :cry:

best distance sensor

Hi, thanks for the reply in advance... My initial idea for this project is determine the distance by using the ratio of distance vs voltage across the receiver part of the sensor. As the intensity of the IR received changed, the voltage across the receiver part changed too... please correct me if there is any mistake. By the way, the distance I need to sense is just below 10cm.:D

Re: IR Distance Sensor

Hi,

The problem that you face is that different materials would reflect the IR energy in different amounts. Different materials at the same disatance would give you different distances. If you plane to look at just one type of material then you could calibrate this problem out.

dfullmer

IR Distance Sensor

There are some nice infrared distance sensors made by Sharp frequently used in robotics

For a distance sensor IR sensor is not the best option, you really really dont want to use an ultrasonic sensor?!

I recomend them

Hi, u can try the SHARP GP2D12/GP2D15, but this is for the distance from 10cm to 80cm. But I tried the couping before using "GaAIAs Infrared Emitter SFH 487" with "NPN-Silizium-Fototransistor SFH 309" or "Silicon NPN Phototransistor SFH 309 FA". It can give u the distance between 10cm. u can try this too "TOSHIBA LED Lamp GaAℓAs Red−light Emitter TLRA270". But I had tried out, using either one of the transmitter with same receiver, no problem at all. U just need to defind your range with the voltage received in your data acquisition stage.

IR Distance Sensor

sharp sensors are rather costly ...

ma_ge38 said:
hi... currently I am planning to build a IR...
hi
can you help me to building a ir distace sensor using ir emitter.
it range is 1-5 cm.

Been testing several IR circuits for measuring distance and they all pretty inconsistent. Would the sonar circuit above give better accuracy than IR? U'r help would be appreciated!

phluxor said:
Been testing several IR circuits for measuring distance and they all pretty inconsistent.
AFAIK, the only consistent method for measuring the distance to an arbitrary target (not to be confused with object detection) with IR is the parallax sensor such as this one: .

See also this thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back