Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to implement DELAY in a circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

isaacnewton

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

The attached circuit diagram is a Multiphase Clock Generator. This is for an A/D converter. In this circuit, there is a DELAY block which is highlighted. Can somebody tell me a simple way to implement the DELAY block? Thank you very much.

The delay cell can be one or more cmos buffers with small w/l ratios (w<l).

Because of the gate delay is too short, we generally use the RC to implement delay line.
R
^^^^----
|
= C
|
===
=

arthur, highlight your text and press the "Code" button, like this:

Code:
     R
    ^^^^----
         |
         =  C
         |
        ===
         =

For large delay you will need large R and/or C. This mean a lot of die area = expensive. This is why invertor chain is the preferred solution. Use small W/L, and add as many stages as needed. You can even trim delay by changing the bias current.

I think the time in AD is very small.just use inverters.

I myself use inverter chains too in AD design.

I have a question though, has anybody ever experienced problems from too short or too long delays due to process variations?

more invertors more clock jitter due to supply noise

we can use some f-f to reduce jitter.

Try to use 2 inverters with with small W/L ratio to delay the circuit. If the the delay still not enough, can put a capacitor between the inverter to genarate more delay. You can use mosfet capacitor because of its smaller size.

maybe you can also add capacittance between the inverter.

You can try to use "current starved" delay line - similar to vco ring osc.
Then you can modify your delay by changing the bias. Generaly you would get more resolution and quite a bit of range.

The commonest way is inverter chain.

Inverter chains have more predictable delay then RC-line

In my design, a huge variation harass me a lot. Any idea about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back