Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to heatsink a LED without shorting the connection wires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eem2am

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
has anybody a picture of a 3 watt led on a heatsink?

I would like to know how to heatsink a led without shorting the connection wires.

led slug

Use the Alumina substrate, it is a good thermal conductor

__Sree

copper led heat sink

thankyou, i was wondering, i search on google but i dont find picture.....is it a case of using thermal paste between the LED body and a heatsink?

heat sink slug led use

try with Electrically Noncoudcuting thermally conducting epoxy can be used to stick, erlier i used to do for some other applications, by the way if u mention ur location i can have some idea about availability

--sree

led metal slug

thankyou sreevyas....i am very grateful to you.

Actually i am in Aldershot UK.

Also, the LEDs i am driving are as follows

https://www.philipslumileds.com/pdfs/DS45.pdf

....and on page 2 you may please see what i mean......it has a metal slug for transfering heat away from the LED package......and i am just wondering how i can connect up to this "slug" as they call it.

Is there some special PCB that you have part number for?

Or do i just put thermal paste on the "slug" and then put it on a metallised area of the PCB, and then use vias to go to another connected metallised area. so that there is more overall metal area for the slug to pass its heat to.

the thing is, that my LED is 4W, and that seems to me to eb a lot of heat to take away?

power led heatsink glue

there are metal core PCBs for such type of LEDs.
and i recentl got a sample of such LED and its above said metal core PCB.Its a metal,where have provision to solder the leads, and tap the wires from that as well as a plane where you keep the LED,which itself has a ground plane to solder on to the board by reflow method.Normal hand soldering will not work

heatsin for led india

Here is the link browse it!

**broken link removed**,
I used the 70E type

if you need further help send a PM, daily i may not check edaboard, today to find your posting i took lot of time?!

__sree

led heat sink india

Thankyou sree and cameo_2007, you have both been very kind.

cameo_2007.......am i writing in saying that the metal core PCB is layers as follows?....

1. Copper layer (to be etched)
2. Thermally conductive /electrically insulating layer.
3. Aluminuim backing layer, which is to be attached to heatsink.

i am wondering about just using a normal PCB and glueing the LED "slug" to the copper, then somehow connecting this copper to a heatsink.

...but i am not sure if this will work.

also, i am wondering if i can put insulating tape over the LED "slug", then glue it to a heatsink and be careful not to short the LED terminals against the heatsink?

Its just that this Metal core PCB is very expensive and the soldering apparatus for it is also very expensive.

putting leds on a heatsink

eem2am said:
i am wondering about just using a normal PCB and glueing the LED "slug" to the copper, then somehow connecting this copper to a heatsink.

also, i am wondering if i can put insulating tape over the LED "slug", then glue it to a heatsink and be careful not to short the LED terminals against the heatsink?

gluieng?

but you should know that how good that glue will be able to transfer heat.Because here heat TRANSFER is the main subject.
check it out practically.

yes ,thesee are a lil expensive,but i said ,i got soem free samples

led heat sink

Finally could you do it, still facing problem,

_sree

Status
Not open for further replies.