Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to have more than serial port in a PC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UroBoros

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Help reqd:USB to Serial

Hello
My PC have only one serial port,as usual!.Can I have one more serial port like USb to Serial or by some means?
can anybody suggest the possibilities.
My intention is to have one port used for ISP of uC's and at the same time use other port for testing serial communication of the same controller.Then during development physical removel of the port connectors could be avoided.
Please suggest

Picstudent

UroBoros

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: Help reqd:USB to Serial

use a USB to serial convertor, the driver will emulate the Rs-232. Once the device connected to PC, the USB is transperant to you and you will found an additional com port in control panel. I have experienced on this for Rabbit ISP, it work stable as RS-232. The other advantange is most convertor able to run up to 384k baud rate.

U may use the hub with bridge. It can extend the serial from one to many.

U can use prolific USB to rs232 converter ,RS232 emulation driver is served in prolific web page.And they are cheap,for example I take one of them from an old cellular data cable,It works fine!

USB to rs232 converter circuits?

Go to Cypress.com and search for USB Serial Reference Design with EZ-USB chips.

Ok, but if I use a FT2232BM chip, can I put this in a device and use this device like a host? or the FTDI chips can only use in a regular device?

hello,

Picstudent said:
Hello
My PC have only one serial port,as usual!.Can I have one more serial port like USb to Serial or by some means?
can anybody suggest the possibilities.
My intention is to have one port used for ISP of uC's and at the same time use other port for testing serial communication of the same controller.Then during development physical removel of the port connectors could be avoided.
Please suggest

Picstudent

I am using the config you describe ! 8O

I use my PC serial port for ICSP and a serial (usb-serial) port for debugging my program. And It works fine !
8)

Should work fine. I connected a siemens module to my one port and debug my program through the other port using a usb to serial cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back