Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to have a variable filename in the fprintf statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Nick

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

I'm writing software to rip data from a camera we designed, I need to take multiple images to manipulate in matlab. I am currently using fprintf to write files which is working fine.
But what I want to do is take 100-1000 frames and write each image to a file, incrementing the name of the file for every image.
Obviously a for loop would be ideal, but how do I have a variable filename in the fprintf statement.

Cheers for any help.

Nick

Re: fprintf

fprintf takes FILE pointer as an argument. That means that you will have to close previous file and than open a new one with fopen. fopen will taka a file name which a string, and can be constructed using sprintf.

Old Nick

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Cheers for that,

But what I need to know is how to change the name of an output file in a for loop.

I should have made it more clear that I already know how to close and open files, it is the renaming in a loop that I need to know.

I would use sprintf and the loop index (appended to the filename), something like:

Code:
#define MAX  100
#define BASE_FILE "myfile_"

char filename[255];
int  i;
FILE  *f;

for (i=0;i<MAX;i++) {
    sprintf(filename,"%s%03d",BASE_FILE,i);
    f = fopen(filename);
    if (f) {
        // write data
        fclose(f);