Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to grounding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony_lth

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, Gurus,
I met an old design, with such grounding. I think it's not right.

Could you comment the grounding problem?

Best,
Tony Liu

Attachments

• Old-design.JPG
    Old-design.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 94

Connecting DIG_GND and RF_GND in a such a way is not appropriate.They should have been tied together at a common point on EARTH_GND.
So star configuration should be applied.Digital common mode signals will heavily disturb the RF circuitry. On the other hand RF signals' return path will also disturb the digital part ( less important ). Layout should be carefully examined..

tony_lth

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi, thanks, Bigboss.
And the following picture is from the datasheet of a vendor,
P1 is the input of RS485, so the RS485 links to earth ground by a shunting R1 || C2, R1=1M Ohms, C2 is a capacitor with 1nF 2KV.
So I think it's right, the earth ground is dirty, such link can clean the ground.
When lighting, C2 is shunting, so protect other circuits.
And the input gnd are protected, then link the analog GND through RSM485 and SP00S12.
Any comment?
thanks

Attachments

• RSM3_485.JPG
    RSM3_485.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 174

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back