Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get serial data from single phase Energy meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bharathi1

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Everyone,
I am trying to communicate between L&T single phase energy meter with my micro controller as am doing my final year project. I need to know the commands to retrieve parameters like voltage,current,power etc. from energy meter that I can send from hyperterminal. Also want to know the Baudrate for communication with meter & the format to send it. I need it urgently as soon as possible.
Thanking you in advance for your kind help.

With regards,
Bharathi

What is the brand and model of your meter, it should be written in the datasheet of it which protocol used for communication (Usb or Rs232)

What is the brand and model of your meter, it should be written in the datasheet of it which protocol used for communication (Usb or Rs232)

Thank you for your reply
I am using single phase two wire AC Watthour meter and manufactured by Larsen & Turbo .. Model no EM101+
The protocol used for communication is RS232

Contact L and T India and ask them the manual which shows how to use commands to retrieve data. Are you sure it has a serial interface? It has a pulse output for kWh. I think it gives one pulse for 1 kWh and you can count the pulses using microcontroller and calculate the kWh.

Edit:

I see there is 2 meters with model no. EM101+. One is electromechanical and another is digital.

**broken link removed**

https://www.larsentoubro.com/lntcorporate/uploads/product/SinglePhaseMeter.pdf

Last edited:

Hi Friend,

In single phase energy meter, there are two type of protocol use to communicate with meter
1) DLMS
2) Propriety Protocol from L&T.

You need to first confirm that what protocol used in your meter, some meter support DLMS or propriety protocol or some meter support both. If meter support DLMS protocol then your task is very easy because DLMS protocol is international standard protocol and you can get information of that protocol from Internet.

But if your meter support only propriety protocol then you must contact L&T.

I suggest you to spare much of your time to do this project because DLMS protocol implementation in microcontroller take at least 6 to 8 month for Professional as full time job.

Regards,

Sir I am using EM101+ digital meter & dont want to calculate KWh using pulse. I need to get data through serial port, hence please guide me regarding this.

Thanking you!

I face same problem for L&T ER300 model which have both RS232 & RS485 output with modbus protocol if u required it's details then inform. Note it is related to 3 phase meter

Thanks for your reply. Please provide those rs232 protocol details, I need it urgent my project is getting delayed.
My email:bharathimn004@gmail.com

Hi Everybody

I am facing problem in interfacing the single phase energy meter with 8051 arch uc, my meter is communicate through rs485 modbus protocol, and i dont know how to collect data from the modbus using address,
hear i am using sn75176b for communicating the uc to modbus meter, please tell me how to get the data from the single phase meter, which has the adress for each parameter like voltage, current(40001, 40002)

Hi Everybody

I am facing problem in interfacing the single phase energy meter with 8051 arch uc, my meter is communicate through rs485 modbus protocol, and i dont know how to collect data from the modbus using address,
hear i am using sn75176b for communicating the uc to modbus meter, please tell me how to get the data from the single phase meter, which has the adress for each parameter like voltage, current(40001, 40002)

Can u mentioned meter detials

Hi Golden Electronics

Thanks for your Reply

I am trying interface the ICD acstatic Watthour Meter- 1 phase 2 wire,
Type SEM9510 5(30)A,240V,50Hz, Class 1,
In my controller i am giving command like 01,03,00,00,00,0A,CRC, Bu i am gettig the response like
/0x01/0x03/0x142 , i dont know what it is, Please give some suggession to get the correct response,

Thanks & Regards
Avinesh

As u got response means we consider that ur hardware okay. Now if u require to read say Voltage then u must mention it's memory address to Meter via ur query which is 40001 as per ur post But in ur query it is not reflect any were. Please try to communicate meter with PC com port till u get proper result after that use controller.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Golden Electronics

Thanks for your Reply

I am trying interface the ICD acstatic Watthour Meter- 1 phase 2 wire,
Type SEM9510 5(30)A,240V,50Hz, Class 1,
In my controller i am giving command like 01,03,00,00,00,0A,CRC, Bu i am gettig the response like
/0x01/0x03/0x142 , i dont know what it is, Please give some suggession to get the correct response,

Thanks & Regards
Avinesh

Share Meter Datasheet link

we have L&T make quasar meter and ERP300 models and output with modbus protocol which u must know as u r using it.We have SCADA and it is already communicating but can u give any direction for displaying it without any SCADA. i wanted to display single adress data on a bigger display say active power's data on particular adress(43101).

Hi
I am using EM101+ single phase two wire AC Watthour meter and manufactured by Larsen & Turbo which is bassed on RS232 protocol. I need to know the commands to retrieve parameters like voltage,current,power etc. from energy meter that I can send from hyperterminal. Also want to know the Baudrate for communication with meter & the format to send it.
Thanking you in advance for your help.

Hi,

I didn't try. But I expect the datasheet should contain all this informations.
Maybe there are additional documents like application notes.
Did you do a search on the manufacturer's internet site?
Maybe the datasheet refers to common communication standards.
You may also try to contact the manufacturer via email.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.