Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get power gain of Power Amplifier more than 15 dB using GaN HEMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

pusparaga

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing Power Amplifier (PA) using Win Semiconductor's 0.15 um GaN on Silicon substrate at Ka-Band frequencies from (26-32)GHz. Right now I am getting power gain of the designed PA is around 1 dB for above said frequencies. How to enhance this power gain from 1 dB to around 15 dB. Though I have designed perfect Input and output matching circuit also, am getting too low power gain.

Attachments

• Optimized_1.jpg
    Optimized_1.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Output_1.jpg
    Output_1.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Schematic_1.jpg
    Schematic_1.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Max Gain is around still 4dB, how do you expect 15dB Power Gain ??
Do you know what max Gain does mean ?

pusparaga

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Now I am getting Maximum Gain around 17 dB, but normal gain getting around 9 dB. what to do for getting normal gain equal to Maximum gain. what is the meaning of Maximum Gain.

Attachments

• Output_2.jpg
    Output_2.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

You bias the transistor without any matching circuit and see MAG and MSG to get an idea how much gain can be obtained from this transistor.

pusparaga

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You bias the transistor without any matching circuit and see MAG and MSG to get an idea how much gain can be obtained from this transistor.
Yes. I did as you said. I am getting Maximum Gain around 17 dB. How to get s21 around 17 dB.

Attachments

• Without_Connecting_Matching_NW_obtained_Gain.jpg
    Without_Connecting_Matching_NW_obtained_Gain.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 61

Use "Simultaneously Conjugate Matching" feature of ADS, If you don't know what it means, read serious textbooks. This feature will give you Appropriate Impedances that should be matched for Input and Output simultaneously at single frequency.
For wideband application, this is not possible due to varying Impedance values. But an average solution is surely possible.
--- Updated ---

You make seriously a mistake. This transistor cannot give 17dB GMax. Verify your set-up.

Last edited:

Another point I don't see here, is that getting +15dBc means
you'd need a transistor with about 32X the signal bandwidth.
Presuming a roughly fixed GBWP. So that's like 1THz, given
your 32GHz interest, and good luck with that. Believe that kind
of performance still has to be hand-whittled out of billet
unobtainium by unionized elves with serious medical conditions.

You will end up at a cascade lineup I expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back