Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to generate schematics from gerber files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamaha

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi

i am new to re-engineering,

we have got gerber files and the bom from our clients, the client doesn't have the schematics of the original board.

is there any tool by which i can generate the schematic from the gerb files

any kind of help will be appreciated

regards

yamaha

Re: gerber files

how many layer board it is,

how dense it is

I have never heard about any tools or software for converting a gerber file back to schematic diagram/board layout diagram. I also guess maybe there is no, the reason is gerber file is generated from board layout diagram, it is used for:
- CNC drilling/routing machine easily to make PCB.
- to protect the original design from any spy !!!.

nguyennam

yamaha

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

There are tools that can work back from Gerber to netlist, this is part way to what you want.

Basic theory is that you create a parts library inside the CAM tool then ask it to extract the netlist to get something useable.

With the netlist you can then start to work backwards to a sch.

:F

yamaha

Hi,

Its not easy as you think,it can be done in Cam 350 software,but then for doing that you need to create the appropriate foot print from the Bom you have, later generate netlist from the gerbers and need to assign the footprint to the location,since you have silk screen provided.Moreover,i can't explain the step by step process over the mail like for pcb layout, i suggest you look for some guidance from the folks who already done couple of Re-engineering jobs,they might help you out in this regard.

Good luck.....

Regards

Ramesh

yamaha

has anybody used camtastic

try software called diptrace hope this may work. u can import gerber files in its pcb layout. then u can try different things.

yamaha

gerber files

Just give the board to an engineer and get him to trace it out.

Much better than messing around with software that won't really do it right.

Rame said:
Hi,

Its not easy as you think,it can be done in Cam 350 software,but then for doing that you need to create the appropriate foot print from the Bom you have, later generate netlist from the gerbers and need to assign the footprint to the location,since you have silk screen provided.Moreover,i can't explain the step by step process over the mail like for pcb layout, i suggest you look for some guidance from the folks who already done couple of Re-engineering jobs,they might help you out in this regard.

Good luck.....

Regards

Ramesh

i also got the same kinda information, once u have got the net list of the board through CAM350, and if u have the BOM, and also since u have the sikscreen, u can make out the schematic, but its a lot of mechanical work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back