Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to generate a reference current of 5uA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surianova

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all!

i need to generate a reference current of 5uA. This 5 uA must indepedent of power supply, process and temperature. Any idea or journal i can refer to generate this current? Thanks in advance.

Reference current

There are four type of current sources. They are proportional to absolute temperature (PTAT); gm-matching; temperature independent;and currents with a negative temperature coefficient (TC). Find in google any of this current source. Or
https://www.freepatentsonline.com/ :)

Re: Reference current

yxo said:
There are four type of current sources. They are proportional to absolute temperature (PTAT); gm-matching; temperature independent;and currents with a negative temperature coefficient (TC). Find in google any of this current source. Or
https://www.freepatentsonline.com/ :)

but all these is temperature dependence.

surianova said:
hi all!

i need to generate a reference current of 5uA. This 5 uA must indepedent of power supply, process and temperature. Any idea or journal i can refer to generate this current? Thanks in advance.

Chk if this post if it can help you

It's very difficult in analog design to obtain PVT stable current reference with high tolerance.
U can make bandgap reference to get stable voltage with 2-3% tolerance (without trimming). To make stable current u can use off-chip resistor. It's one way.
The second one is using on-chip low TC resistor with trimming.
U can make voltage and current references separately or u can make compact circuit.

surianova

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

DenisMark said:
It's very difficult in analog design to obtain PVT stable current reference with high tolerance.
U can make bandgap reference to get stable voltage with 2-3% tolerance (without trimming). To make stable current u can use off-chip resistor. It's one way.
The second one is using on-chip low TC resistor with trimming.
U can make voltage and current references separately or u can make compact circuit.

yes, thank you.i try already.. i found out it is quite ok to get constant current across power supply and temperature. But quite hard to get across process especially SS and FF.. i think that one might need trimmimg of resistors.

Hello surianova
you can refer this paper in the following site, maybe it is useful.

I am also designing a current reference with invariant for process and temperature.
I also think it is not very difficult for design a current reference with invariant for
temp and power supply.

Reference current

PTAT current+NTAT current

Consider I1=Vbe/R, I2=VT/R and then mix I1 and I2 with proper coefficients

Reference current

A ideal refrence current,;babbage
, Can the PTAT current+NTAT current realize it?

Reference current

Is there any good idea to make current reference with indenpendence of Temp and Process. all component should be on-chip. It is better to not use resistor, because it is too hard to make a precise resistor in silicon.

since its very low current and need stabilization for various parameter. u must use band gap reference to design design current mirror....

refer to sixth chapter in analog integrated circuit by ken martin

surianova said:
hi all!

chk if these can help you

Attachments

• cmos_current_ref_low_sensitivity_to_process_3937.pdf
    349.2 KB · Views: 141

surianova

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

kumar123 said:
surianova said:
hi all!

chk if these can help you

thanks

Use a band gap reference circuit for your supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.