Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to flash boot code on ARM JTAG using MultiICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugo_nz

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can someone please tell me if the ARM7TMDI's JTAG port is proper and 'standards compliant' as far a JTAG goes or do you actually need to use the ARM MultiICE or compatible? I don't initially want to do ICE or ICD with it, I can initially use Angel for that, i just want to load code into the boot flash (an external chip AT49BV4096A that would be connected as the boot flash to the EBI of an AT91R40008)? I want to get into ARM development, but on the cheap, with GNU tools, and a homemade board. i think i have the basics of the hardware design knucled down, and have got the gnu tools going, but am unsure how to flash boot code into the chip. It woudl also be alright if there was some way to load a program inot the internal ram of the '40008 cos there is 256kbyte of it and you can execute code from it.

ps as you may have gathered i dont really know what im talking about, but i dont claim to either. has anyone made a homemade cheap-as dev board before. Seems feasible - AT91 with onchip ram ~US$20, flash ~$10, power supplies (3.3 and 1.8V) ~$6, oscilator, reset supervisor etc ~$5, PCB maybe ~$20, it come to about ~~50 bucks US? and the AT91 eval board is about 200 bucks??

any thoughts, cheers hugo

parallel port versions and jtag ice

oh, forgot my JTAG interface is the ByteBlaster compatible that appeared in ELECTOR a year-ish ago.

arm jtag ice

Hi
you can also use I@R ew, GHS Multi2k and Met@ware ARM with wiggler.

Thanks.

at91r40008+sram downloader+programming

Thanks for your replies - i was aware of the Wiggler, and it has been discussed and documented before on elektroda. it seems to be fairly similar to the ByteBlaster. I probably would have forgotten to put a 3.3V level translater in there though...

But can anyone answer my original question. Can you program the external flash through jtag or do you need some aditional tools.

greenhills ice jtag

Ok thanks, that embedinfo flash prog'ger seems to be what i was looking for. The link seems to be a demo.

Can someone please point out a good book or site on JTAG, it confused me.

Can you put JTAG devices on a bus? like a CPLD and the processor on the same board with their jtag ports connected somehow in a bus so you don;t need two jtag connectors?

jtag ice и arm7

hugo_nz said:
Ok thanks, that embedinfo flash prog'ger seems to be what i was looking for. The link seems to be a demo.
Check your PM :wink:

hugo_nz said:
Can someone please point out a good book or site on JTAG, it confused me.
Download and study the IEEE 1149.1-2001 specification esp. the TAP controllers state diagram. This spec can be found on MCU fileman (**broken link removed** path: Home / Specifications / IEEE). Refer also to **broken link removed**

hugo_nz said:
Can you put JTAG devices on a bus? like a CPLD and the processor on the same board with their jtag ports connected somehow in a bus so you don;t need two jtag connectors?
You can combine all the devices in a chain (assumed same voltage). But therefor your JTAG-programmer software has to recognize and handle the different devices. This could be a problem. It's also described in IEEE1149.

Have a lot of fun with JTAG :?
Mik

free jtag at91sam wiggler

Hello Hugo,

take a look at this link.
http://www.ascensit.com/developers/atmel_eb55/main.php3

It is a uclinux port for the ATMEL EB55 board with the AT91M55800A processor on it. Ascensit provides a free JTAG Downloader and mini debugger for the EB55. But You can probably use it for the AT91R40008 (which is the MCU on the EB40A from ATMEL).

But if you have any Dev. Tool like ARM SDT, ARM ADS, Multi2k from Green Hills or even GNU tools, you can use a wiggler or raven to download a flash programmer into the internal SRAM of the R40008 and then with semihosting (printf() & scanf() function) features of the Dev tool, you can read a file from your HDD and burn it into the flash memory.
Go to the Public FTP site of ATMEL to download the AT91 CD ROM which contains all getting started, flash tools, linux for ARM9 AT91RM9200, all documentations etc.. a lot of free stuffs. and also GNU Tools for ARM7 AT91.
Check it out @

ftp://at91supp:support@81.80.104.162/OUT/AT91CDROM_September_2003/
Hope this helps.

how to program flash arm7 jtag

trick260173 said:
But if you have any Dev. Tool like ARM SDT, ARM @DS, Multi2k from Green Hills or even GNU tools, you can use a wiggler or raven to download a flash programmer into the internal SRAM of the R40008 and then with semihosting (printf() & scanf() function) features of the Dev tool, you can read a file from your HDD and burn it into the flash memory.

quote]

What RDI driver supports ARM SDT, ARM @DS with Wiggler ?!?!
What Wiggler software supports semihosting ?!?!

arm jtag cheap

Thanks trick260173 for that Atmel link. I had been looking around the Atmel Website for it after someone else told me about it, but i couldn't findit.

jtagice driver win 7

dainis,

Actually, ARM SDT does not work with the wiggler as is, but with a background program which use an ethernet connection with the wiggler connected to your parallel port you can use SDT configured to use an ICE connected on a network+ Wigller. It has not been tested with ADS yet.

The semihosting is not a question of ICE interface. if this Dev tool has the semihosting feature you will have the semihosting feature with the wiggler. Like Green Hills and the wiggler, raven, multi ice etc...

If I well remember the latest RDI protocol is 1.51.

elektroda arm

Another option to the Macgraiger tools is Amontec's Chameleon pod
www.amontec.com

It costs about $100 and can be configured to operate as a wiggler or a Raven, amongst other things.

I have one and it works OK.

jtag simples wiggler

Beetroots said:
Another option to the Macgraiger tools is Amontec's Chameleon pod
www.amontec.com

I have one and it works OK.

Can you provide its schematic

Thanks

gnu arm multi-ice

Chameleon documentation contain Xilinx CPLD pin
connection table.

Status