Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to find transfer function of switching converters??

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuq

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am making a DC motor speed controller,
Using half bridge chopper,
Current mode control.

I am not sure how to find transfer function of a switching converter,
I want to find the transfer function in order for me to design the appropriate compensation network for current mode control.
I am totally lost,

Please suggest something useful.

It is not staraight forward... Derivation of those transfer function are differrent type of mathmatics called something "state space averaging". you can try searching else I will try to remember the book I refered 6 year back.

Hi
Thanks for your resPonse,
Yes i have a book on state space averaging by Erickson.
It seems extremly complex maths and I was hoping if there was an easier way of doing it.
Or should I spend the time and derive all the equations???
Maths isnt my best subject so ya....
What do u suggest?

I woud suggest to go for some simulation tool, and tweak with parameters to achieve the performance. That how it is done in industry.

THanks Umesh

Do u recommend any software?? I am a university student. Is there any freeware available? I tried looking online, I found one from Psim but it is rather expensive, $2500.
I will only be using it once for my final year project so probably not worth buying.

You could find some free ware tool like pspice/ multisim. I did not really use them so not sure how much it could be helpful.
You can try doing in Matlab if you have in your university.
Have a look a below threads for simulation tool discussion.

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/200930/

You can do this in PSpice. Read more about it and download evaluation version from **broken link removed**

Simplest way to model switching convertor is use error amplifier with compensation network, GAIN block (ratio of voltage at control pin to O/P DC) followed by filter.
Hope this help.

Status
Not open for further replies.