Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to find the voltage gain of this topology

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimito13

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,i am trying to find the voltage gain of the topology presented in the following picture.I realize that this is a current mirror and i want to use it as a non inverting stage (as we can see the series connection of two inverting amplifiers) to an opamp design.I have searced all over the known bibliography but i cannot find an equation for the voltage gain of this topology...

My second question has to do with the following : Since this topology has two inverting amplifiers connected in series,can we say that the overall voltage gain is the product of the voltage gains of the two inverting stages??That is :

Atotal=A1*A2=[gm1/(gds1+gds2)]*[gm3/(gds3+gds4)]

And my third question is : Is there a general naming for this circuit?

Any helpful answer would be appreciated.Thank you in advance.

Atotal=A1*A2=[gm1/(gds1+gds2)]*[gm3/(gds3+gds4)]
You ignored the current mirror. The result is rather
Atotal=A1*A2=[gm1/(gds1+gds2+gm2)]*[gm3/(gds3+gds4)] or
Atotal ≈ gm1/(gds3+gds4)

jimito13

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you very much FvM.I have one more question :

You said that i ignored the current mirror.Can you be more specific?I suppose

A1=gm1/(gds1+gds2+gm2) and not A1=gm1/(gds1+gds2) as i mentioned to my first

post because of the reason you mentioned above?

Thanks again and sorry to disturb.

The combination of M1-M3 behave almost similar as a single transistor (regarding gm and gds).
A current mirror adds no gain.

jimito13

Ok.Clear.Thanks a lot again FvM.

May be it will be helpful if you consider what the circuit is doing, namely performing the conversion voltage-current-voltage. The current mirror is not only mirroring the dc current but also the ac one. So, M1 converts Vin to a current i=gm1*Vin. This current gets mirrored into M3 and creates the Vout=i*(ro3||r04)=gm1*(ro3||r04)*Vin
Just another point of view to the same answer given above.

jimito13

I had something like that in my mind but i was not pretty sure.Thank you very much for your answer.It was very helpful as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back