Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to find out the effect of changing the load in a buck converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iVenky

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I thought the output voltage in the buck converter is primarily decided by the duty cycle (Vout=DVin)but after simulations I found that it depends on the load resistor (or in other words the load current) too. Is there any formula that tell you the effects of the load?

Thanks a lot.

I thought the output voltage in the buck converter is primarily decided by the duty cycle (Vout=DVin)but after simulations I found that it depends on the load resistor (or in other words the load current) too. Is there any formula that tell you the effects of the load?

Thanks a lot.
Hi Ivenky

What kind of buck converter ? open loop or closed loop ? of course for a closed loop buck converter you can be sure that load has no effect on out put voltage .
i.e : vout =D.C(duty cycle *VS)

But if you don't have any feedback path ( amplifying error signal and a simple comparison stage ) your out put voltage will be affected by loading .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

hello goldsmith. I actually tried the closed loop. I used this type of circuit.

I actually needed 1 A load current but it couldn't provide that (using 0.5 Ω in that resistor). If I increased the resistance(as done in the above circuit) so the that the load current decreases then I could see the result. In other words only in the second case the output of the op amp is like a square wave whereas in the first one the voltage at the -ve terminal never reaches 0.5 V and hence the output of the op-amp is always high and also the -ve terminal voltage settles at some value below 0.5V

Thanks a lot:)

hello goldsmith. I actually tried the closed loop. Here's the screenshot
Hi again
I afraid but
Your circuit is completely wrong ! why ? because you are driving your series path element as a linear element ! it should be used in on / off region ( as a switch ) aren't you familiar with float drivers ?
I actually needed 1 A load current but it couldn't provide that. If I increased the resistance so the that the load current decreases then I could see the result :)
i.e a buck converter needs a PWM signal and then an error amplifier and then a comparator to create proper feedback path .
But your circuit is completely linear ! do you know what is the difference between the word linear and the word switch mode ?

All the best
Goldsmith

I have changed the circuit. Still it's not working. The -ve terminal voltage is not reaching 0.5V.

I have plotted the triangular wave and also the -ve terminal voltage (you can see that it is not equal to 0.5 V ) Thanks a lot

- - - Updated - - -

Waiting for you reply Gold smith

Humm
Ivenky
Why frequency of triangle wave is 40 HZ ? why your loop is like that ? why your out put filter is like that ? why that diode is a simple diode ? why and why and why !
May i give you one advise ? try to read some text books with emphasis on SMPS design . if you are interested i can introduce some professional books .

Just clear me this doubt- I have studied about SMPS but I never realized that the diode and the LC circuit that you use is a buck converter until now. I thought it's just for averaging out the input pulses but anyway both buck and averaging seems to be similar. Am I right in saying that SMPS has a buck converter and that it's similar to averaging circuit?

Thanks a lot :)

Just clear me this doubt- I have studied about SMPS
No you don't have studied ! because SMPS isn't like a linear regulator that after some hour reading , you be able to understand all of it's sections ! SMPS design , is a complete book !
I never realized that the diode and the LC circuit that you use is a buck converter until now
This is not easy to explain it here ! it needs high value of basics !
But just something for clarifying you :
this section plays many roles .
you can justify it's behavior as flows :
1- as a 2nd order power integrator to take average from the amplified PWM signal .
2- to store the energy .
3 - to filter other harmonics ( as an LPF ) i can tell you how it works , but it will be really hard because you don't have required basics .
What is your definition by the word SMPS ? there are gang of arrangements for gang of applications unlike linear regulators !
I really want to help you , and i've tried to show you the path .

Hi, mind if I jump in here?

It looks as though your coil's henry value is 1H. In that case 40Hz is too fast a cycle to allow sufficient current to build, and you will not get 1A at the load.

Try a coil value of 10 mH.

Try various switching frequencies and duty cycles.

Hi, mind if I jump in here?

It looks as though your coil's henry value is 1H. In that case 40Hz is too fast a cycle to allow sufficient current to build, and you will not get 1A at the load.

Try a coil value of 10 mH.

Try various switching frequencies and duty cycles.
Hi dear Bradtherad
Yes i completely agree with you about improper values !
Best Regards
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back