Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to find harmonics in dc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manohar.k

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to know the percent of harmonics that are present in system when ac is converted into dc?

The question isn't very clear. By definition, harmonics only exist for AC systems, so I presume you are asking for harmonics on the AC input? AC power supply is a low impedance voltage source in a first order, thus we are looking at harmonic currents.

The current waveform and respective harmonic content strongly depends on the AC/DC converter (e.g. rectifier) circuit and its parameters and to a certain degree also on the mains impedance.

If you are asking about specific converter/rectifier circuits, you should specify it.

If you are talking about to take the frequency spectrum of a signal composed by AC and DC components, there should be no procedural difference on how to obtain in whatever the signal frequency. Note that the DC component is a particular case of an AC component, whose frequency is equal to zero.

In general you can employ a FFT algorithm for that.

I want to know the percent of harmonics that are present in system when ac is converted into dc?

you can use a fluke energy analyzer, it will automatically give you the harmonics.

As DC is rectified from AC and low-pass filtered, you can determine any AC component remnant by using a better low-pass filter.
THe question rather should be: what harmonics can be a problem in what DC-powered system?

Reviewing the question from a more practical point of view, I believe that the real issue is more likely to know how to obtain a method to measure the degree of distortion of an AC voltage due to the effect of flattening of the peak of the sine wave when subjected to a standard rectifier, that due to the filtering capacitor, restricts the entire recharge to just a short period immediately before the peak of the wave.

DEAR...
AC power supply is a low impedance voltage source in a first order, thus we are looking at harmonic currents....

The DC component is a particular case of an AC component, whose frequency is equal to zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.