Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to Filter periodical DC noise in DC Power Supply Lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigma|Six

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
power supply noise

Hi,

My DC power supply system suffers from a periodical noise 1V p-p at the ouput.
The bad thing is it couples into the other subsystems~! OMG

The input of the system is derived from 5V & 12V of the ATX chassis, and I have determined that the 1V p-p is actually comes from this unit, probably caused by a switch mode power supply.

Can someone tell me how to eliminate the noise without affecting the performance of the DC power supply? is adding a big capacitors at the inlet of my PSU system a good idea or a Low Pass Filter is a must?

Please share your thoughts

Sigma|Six

Re: How to Filter periodical DC noise in DC Power Supply Li

what's the period? I prefer to simple rc filter. the period determine the rc.

I think some LC filters may solve your prob. I don think you can use RC flter for power supply filtering, as it give large IR drops and basically the R need to be power resstor, that giving even more noise.

Btw, 1Vpp noise is huge if your supply is 5V. It could have some low impedance paths to some points that causing this 1Vpp ripple.

I think if u still suffer from problems after the above suggestions u may try to add a low dro out linear regulator (LDO)

ATX power supply should not generate such high noise. Have a look to example supply specifications :
**broken link removed**

Such values for your measurements could be:
- faulty power supply
- not properly choosen points to measure voltage . measure voltage on the point where it comes out of power supply. Ground and VCC terminals must be on same ATX power connector.
- current consuming switching load which generate such noise. Switching supply load regulation can manage changing load at some extend in terms of frequency spectre of current consumption by device. Thus high freq switching devices connected to supply will generate noise which can not be managed by supply itself (via feedback regulation). You have to filter them by decoupling capacitors, put as close as possible to switching load.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back