Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] How to extract parasitic capacitance of MOSFET

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktx2222

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

Can you tell me what method I have to use to extract parasitic of a MOSFET. I used S-parameter simulation:

Cgs.png

I would like to know Cgs (gate-source capacitance). In the schematic, MOSFET was biased as operating point and I used very large ideal inductor to isolate effect of Cgd (gate-drain capacitance). So, Cgs=imag(Y11)/(2*pi*freq)=0.178 pF.

Please help me. I really appreciate your comments. Thank.

Extraction of intrinsic and extrinsic components is not easy from s-parameters.
For that target, modelling softwares are more useful but they are not available in a reasonable prices.Measurement equipments are also very expensive.
Instead, you may see modelled components by making a simple DC simulation at that operating point since the appropriate model is well known.Cadence ADE gives you almost these components and ADS gives you some important intrinsic parameters in Simulation-->Detailed Operating Point option but not all of them.

Last edited:

Extraction of intrinsic and extrinsic components is not easy from s-parameters.
For that target, modelling softwares are more useful but they are not available in a reasonable prices.Measurement equipments are also very expensive.
Instead, you may see modelled components by making a simple DC simulation at that operating point since the appropriate model is well known.Cadence ADE gives you almost these components and ADS gives you some important intrinsic parameters in Simulation-->Detailed Operating Point option but not all of them.

Thank BigBoss,

I run DC simulation and here is result:
extract_result.png

Base on Agilent definition: **broken link removed**

=> Cgs (DqgDvsb) = -0.0562 pF and Cgd (DqgDvdb) = -0.0117 pF!!

What is the problem?

I have done a DC simulation with ATF series FET of Avago and I have found something more consistent rather than yours.So it may be variable depending on which foundry/model you use and ADS can sometimes extract more detailed sometimes not.I don't know why but there should be a reason..
As you may see, ADS has given me some important intrinsic parameters ( not all ) but it may not give them for all models/foundry models.( IP issues ???)
But I'm sure Cadence will give you almost all if you are able to download your foundry DK for Cadence.Otherwise I don't know any third kind solution.
DC_OP.PNG

Thank BigBoss,
I also used Cadence. I chose DC analysis (Save DC Operating Point). After simulation: Result -> Annotate -> Show parasitic and I got error:

Error* hdbGetLibName: argument #1 should be a hierarchical database configuration object (type template = "h") - nil
<<< Stack Trace >>>
(... in _mspsConfigToSchExt ...)
(... in _mspsInitConfData ...)
(... in _mspsGetConfData ...)
(... in _mspsGetSessionParCV ...)
(... in _mspsBackAnnotate ...)
(... in _mspsBAPushHilight ...)
_mspsBAPushHilight(path schCV ses)
when((_mspsIsSchInWindow(window(ses)) && (_mspsFlowIsEnabled ses ?flow flow)) (path = strcat(geGetInstHier(&) "/")) if(index(path "//") then (path = "/")) (schCV = geGetWindowCellView(window(ses))) _mspsBAPushHilight(path schCV ses))
foreach(ses (sessionContext->sessions) when((_mspsIsSchInWindow(&) && (_mspsFlowIsEnabled ses ?flow flow)) (path = strcat(& "/")) if(index(path "//") then (path = "/")) (schCV = geGetWindowCellView(&)) _mspsBAPushHilight(path schCV ses)))
progn((sessionContext = _mspsGetSessionContext(sessionId)) foreach(ses (sessionContext->sessions) when((& && &) (path = &) if(& then &) (schCV = &) _mspsBAPushHilight(path schCV ses))))
(val = progn((sessionContext = _mspsGetSessionContext(sessionId)) foreach(ses (sessionContext->sessions) when(& & & & &))))
let((val prevFlow) (prevFlow = _mspsGetFlow(sessionId)) _mspsSetFlow(sessionId flow) (val = progn((sessionContext = &) foreach(ses & &))) _mspsSetFlow(sessionId prevFlow) ... )
_mspsWithFlow(sessionId flow (sessionContext = _mspsGetSessionContext(sessionId)) foreach(ses (sessionContext->sessions) when((& && &) (path = &) if(& then &) (schCV = &) _mspsBAPushHilight(path schCV ses))))

I don't know what is this. I am newbie in Cadence

Make a DC analysis and Save DC Operating Point and then simulate it.
After Simulation, go to Results tab and select Annotate-->Model Parameters and then click the component on which you're interested in

Make a DC analysis and Save DC Operating Point and then simulate it.
After Simulation, go to Results tab and select Annotate-->Model Parameters and then click the component on which you're interested in

BigBoss,
I did as you told and I just saw:
DC_model_parameters.png
BTW, can you tell me what is "vsat"

voltage at saturation mode, i guess

I have done a DC simulation with ATF series FET of Avago and I have found something more consistent rather than yours.
As you may see, ADS has given me some important intrinsic parameters ( not all ) but it may not give them for all models/foundry models.( IP issues ???)
View attachment 111181

Can you give me your ADS setup simulation as zap file. In fact, I don't know what is "ATF". I really need it. Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back